• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Go - No Go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    The architect is Canadian - 'nuff said!
    Still doesn't justify a code generator that doesn't create defensive code. Oh, and, by the way, empty strings are not database null values and oracle really doesn't like randomly changing parameter types.

Mind you current clientco perms believe 0 is suitable substitute for nulls so the crime is one of general stupidity.

Last edited by eek; 13 September 2011, 08:56.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Still doesn't justify a code generator that doesn't create defensive code. Oh, and, by the way, empty strings are not database null values. Although at current clientco the perms believe 0 is suitable substitute for nulls.

Aye!

Oh well, it pays the bills.

Comment

Still doesn't justify a code generator that doesn't create defensive code. Oh, and, by the way, empty strings are not database null values and oracle really doesn't like randomly changing parameter types.

Mind you current clientco perms believe 0 is suitable substitute for nulls so the crime is one of general stupidity.

Actually, Oracle does treat empty strings as nulls. It's tulipe. (Or it least it used to - don't know if things have changed)

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
          Actually, Oracle does treat empty strings as nulls. It's tulipe. (Or it least it used to - don't know if things have changed)
          I'm sure that's changed. I remember a rapid search replace job a few years ago to cure that. Still doesn't justify changing a date parameter to a string parameter to get a null value in tho.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm sure that's changed. I remember a rapid search replace job a few years ago to cure that. Still doesn't justify changing a date parameter to a string parameter to get a null value in tho.
            Had a quick google looks like it's still an issue. Guess it's not something they can just fix, because so much code would break.

Comment

Working...
            X