• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Con of the Week?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency Con of the Week?

'Ere's a good one. "you're on my shortlist, but your CV's cr*p, I must put the CVs in by 17:00 tomorrow. Don't worry there are companies out there who can rewrite your CV for you, I just happen to have a number for one of them handy........." - Kerching£££££
    All
    28.21%
    Most
    51.28%
    Some
    12.82%
    That's a scurrilous suggestion!!!
    7.69%

The poll is expired.

Just a middleage scumbag

You're definitely right for the role
    Last edited by sparklelard; 13 April 2006, 10:17.
    Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Comment

and the rate is <insert gobsmackingly good (but still just about credible) rate>

yes, you heard it too?

Anybody got any others doing the rounds at the moment?
      Just a middleage scumbag

Comment

and will you follow up with a poll

all contractors ?

1. Leverage their CV's
        2. Understand how to run a business
        3. Are competent in their claimed skillset
        4. Are always professional
        5. Are disguised employees (the tax-dodging scum)
        6. All of the above
        7. None of the above
        Why not?

Comment

Honour and Money do not belong in the same purse.

Old Spannish Proverb

As a contractor I dont subscribe to this Agent knocking business.

If you can get your own gigs then bully for you , however as I have worked assignments in various countries Agents have been indispensable in securing contracts for me,as to the rate etc then that is down to your business acumen etc

Remember you can always say no if you dont like the deal and if you have your own contacts and can find assignments without an agency then by all means go ahead,use them.

Hope that helps.

It is easier to burn a house then build one.

Old Chinese Proverb
          Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 13 April 2006, 08:20.

Comment

The worst con of all, the one that truly damages the client and the contractor, is the one where an agency says that he has put a contractor forward and clearly has no intention of doing so. this is usually pre-empted by a friendly call from the agent saying that "we will represent you at X client so dont allow yourself to be put forward by another agency".

The effect of this is that it "blocks" not only what may be some perfectly suitable contractor from getting a good job, but it also cynically preys on the trust and integrity of the contractor. Furthermore it gives the client a bad name for never giving feedback as well as depriving him of some very good contractors. This usually happens where an agency is restricted to the number of CVs that he can put forward.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

This usually happens where an agency is restricted to the number of CVs that he can put forward.
              This usually happens where an agency is restricted to the number of CVs that it can put forward.

or

This usually happens where an agent is restricted to the number of CVs that he or she can put forward.
              We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
                This usually happens where an agency is restricted to the number of CVs that it can put forward.

or

This usually happens where an agent is restricted to the number of CVs that he or she can put forward.
                Fleety I take it you are working in the public sector
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

No, he was working in the pubic sector when he typed that!
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                    Fleety I take it you are working in the public sector
                    Nope. Never have and hopefully never will. Just a quiet day, that's all.
                    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Working...
                    X