• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Con of the Week?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Dalek
    AH-AH-AH-AH!!!! so you're either a bean flicker or a man

Doesn't really narrow the field in gender terms though, does it
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

whereas other agents tell them that they will put them forward and dont.
      So how do you deal with this tactic - ask them to state in writing that they're on the PSL, else you'll go with another agency who is?
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
        I've often thought that this happens a lot too.

What I don't understand is the reasons why an employment business would resort to this: if a contractor's CV is the best for the role then surely they would put it forward if they've told the contractor they would. .

it happens allot when an agent isn't even working with a client - the agent tells the contractor he or she has been put forward and he isn't working the job -

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
          So how do you deal with this tactic - ask them to state in writing that they're on the PSL, else you'll go with another agency who is?
          You can narrow down the chances of getting caught out by letting other agencies who ring up about the same contract (i.e naming the client before you do!!) and telling them which agency has already allegedly put you forward - I've often had agencies on the supplier list call me when I'm responsible for recruiting to see if agency x has put contractor y forward to make sure contractor/agent has not been conned. When looking for work I will even call an agent who has a job on JS that looks exactly the same as I've already been put forward but mentions no name of the client and then get agent to name the client to which I can say oh no agent x has already put me forward - they will then either check with the client or already know who is on the supplier list. Fight fire with fire

Comment

I put up this post 'cos I was angry when a first timer friend of mine got so clearly scammed by a dodgy agent. The posts about blocking though are really useful - thanks!! Knowledge is our best defence.
            PS I don't personally think that all agents are this unscrupulous and at the end of the day it is a dirty business and they have to be smart (who wants a dumb agent?), but that doesn't mean they have to misrepresent, lie and cheat - the good ones don't, but the few with any real integrity are so depressingly few and far between.
            Just a middleage scumbag

Comment

Originally posted by lemla
              I put up this post 'cos I was angry when a first timer friend of mine got so clearly scammed by a dodgy agent. The posts about blocking though are really useful - thanks!! Knowledge is our best defence.
              PS I don't personally think that all agents are this unscrupulous and at the end of the day it is a dirty business and they have to be smart (who wants a dumb agent?), but that doesn't mean they have to misrepresent, lie and cheat - the good ones don't, but the few with any real integrity are so depressingly few and far between.
              The degree of honesty might be related to the way the agent is remunerated. The recent TV investigation of estate agents found that one agency paid low wages to staff, and hence they had to make a lot of sales to earn commission to get a living wage. Surprise surprise, they were very dishonest.

They do say that a fish rots from the head.

Comment

Working...
              X