• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working From Home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Except it's a bit more difficult having someone come in at short notice to have meetings, do demonstrations etc.
    Not too much of a problem is it?

Google Image Result for http://pixti.me/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/indian-commuter-train.jpg
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      Proper contractors home office. A dedicated working area, big desk, plenty of storage space. Sea views, proper chair, coffee maker and somewhere to relax with a sofa, TV and coffee table. Mrs PL has her own office so doesn't pile crap on my desk.

Had the loft converted for this reason only.

Best decision ever.

I still feel the need to be on site 3 weeks a month though. I need the discussions over a coffee/ciggy to really know what's going on otherwise I think you're too disconnected. YMMV.
      I miss the social aspect if stints at home are too long. It's surprising how much info you can pick up around the coffee table.

I'll add another advantage of a decent home office - having your own software tools, computing power and test environments at your fingertips. Some client PCs are woefully inadequate.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Real home office.

Way more productive, although I probably put half much time in I get so much more done.
        WDDS 2. I've just finished redecorating my office after moving house in April. Makes WFH an absolute pleasure.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

WFH is fine as long as you don't have kids of (pre)school age, because productivity slumps when mothers with their shrieking brats materialise in the house at around 15:30 hrs, and despite requests to keep out of the office/study, repeatedly come in to ask where so-and-so is or can I have (insert sugar laden item here) from the fridge?

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Hmmm, It would appear investment in a "proper" office is in order - currently working in the dining room / laptop on my knee option.

It's how I've always WFH though so I'm thinking why change (except WFH is more commonplace now!)

Comment

Originally posted by Chaffinch View Post
              Hmmm, It would appear investment in a "proper" office is in order - currently working in the dining room / laptop on my knee option.
              That would drive me bonkers - I'd rather be in the office.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Unless client co is a large commute, I much prefer working in the office.

It's easier to build relationships with key people, and face to face meetings are way more productive than phone (even with video conferencing).

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                  WFH is fine as long as you don't have kids of (pre)school age, because productivity slumps when mothers with their shrieking brats materialise in the house at around 15:30 hrs, and despite requests to keep out of the office/study, repeatedly come in to ask where so-and-so is or can I have (insert sugar laden item here) from the fridge?

WHS

Have been working at home this week because I packed the missus and kids off to her parents to look after. They've just rung to say they will be here in the hour.

I'm off to the office.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Chaffinch View Post

It's how I've always WFH though so I'm thinking why change (except WFH is more commonplace now!)
                    That brings back bad memories of being told I'm cluttering the place up and after nipping out to the shops finding my carefully laid out paperwork was "tidied up".

I had to rescue some VAT receipts from the bin too.

Never again. And I have a lock on my home office nowadays.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                      And I have a lock on my home office nowadays.
                      Yeah, we all believe that's because VAT receipts go missing.

No really, we do.

I can't think of a single other reason.

Comment

Working...
                      X