• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working From Home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaffinch View Post
    So, when WFH, do you, like me, end up being far more productive than when you're in the office - due to some mis-placed professionalism

or

Do you take the P*ss and watch TV / toss it off ?
    I do both, because as doodab said,

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Way more productive, although I probably put half much time in I get so much more done.
    So I get some work done, watch some telly, go for a wa[ln]k, do the shopping, then come back and do more work

P.S. I have a proper home office.

Comment

If a job can be done from home it can be done from anywhere in the world
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        What's your wife's view on it?

Comment

Proper contractors home office. A dedicated working area, big desk, plenty of storage space. Sea views, proper chair, coffee maker and somewhere to relax with a sofa, TV and coffee table. Mrs PL has her own office so doesn't pile crap on my desk.

Had the loft converted for this reason only.

Best decision ever.

I still feel the need to be on site 3 weeks a month though. I need the discussions over a coffee/ciggy to really know what's going on otherwise I think you're too disconnected. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            Proper contractors home office. A dedicated working area, big desk, plenty of storage space. Sea views, proper chair, coffee maker and somewhere to relax with a sofa, TV and coffee table.
            WPS+1

Server farm cuts down on heating too.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

I find the cost of driving to site versus the cost in tissues is cheaper.

I prefer the office.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                More productive as there isn't someone in the same office making phone calls that you can over hear, planning on how they are going to lie to their boss in a foreign language (your client) and other interruptions.

Both.
                Current (very temporary) desk at Clientco is situated next to "resourcing" team - fully conforming to stereotype - mostly very very loud. Mixture of cackling women and hair-gelled wide boys shouting very loudly into the phone. Yesterday was a discussion with a contractor about what rate he was going to be getting an whether he would pass a background check. Tossers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  Proper contractors home office. A dedicated working area, big desk, plenty of storage space. Sea views, proper chair, coffee maker and somewhere to relax with a sofa, TV and coffee table. Mrs PL has her own office so doesn't pile crap on my desk.

Had the loft converted for this reason only.

Best decision ever.

I still feel the need to be on site 3 weeks a month though. I need the discussions over a coffee/ciggy to really know what's going on otherwise I think you're too disconnected. YMMV.
                  I bet you quite often get to play with your railway set in the attic
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I bet you quite often get to play with your railway set in the attic
                    It really is the little engine that could.

I say could. I meant tried.

By tried I mean failed.

Comment

Except it's a bit more difficult having someone come in at short notice to have meetings, do demonstrations etc.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X