• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Proper Sci-fi is back

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    As if the original Blade Runner wasn't boring enough
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Hugely overrated film, IMHO.
    Ah, but the Director's Cut is a classic.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I watched Prometheus over the weekend and rather enjoyed it, there are some daft bits but overall I liked it, hard to say any more without revealing spoilers but I will say the opening scene had me grinning ear to ear and I'm still thinking the whole thing over days later.

It did leave me with more unanswered questions than I went in with leaving the door firmly wedged open for what I expect will be at least a trilogy.

Cast wise Michael Fassbender stole the show and Charlize Theron looked hot hot hot! Noomi Rapace was pretty good, everyone else so so.

3D was completely unobtrusive as it should be.

Overall gj rating: 8/10
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I want to see Prometheus but after seeing Alien4/Resurrection am not exactly expecting much. I'm amazed Alien hasn't inspired way more films (AvP doesn't count), in my view it's one of the strongest SciFi/Horror concepts around.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I want to see Prometheus but after seeing Alien4/Resurrection am not exactly expecting much. I'm amazed Alien hasn't inspired way more films (AvP doesn't count), in my view it's one of the strongest SciFi/Horror concepts around.
          Some people didn't like it as they thought Prometheus was going to answer all their Alien origin questions and tie the answers in a neat little bow, it won't.

Alien 4? Please... I'm not sure if that even counts?? Prometheus is way better but as I said there are some daft bits that could of been handled better, I hope Scott keeps his hand in for the inevitable sequels.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I don't really want things answered as much as a decent film in keeping with the originals.

I do want to see a proper Alien film where they reach Earth though, one day.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

First Prometheus (Alien prequel) and now a Bladerunner prequel.
              Prometheus looks promising. But I do hope Ridley Scott hasn't gone preachy and sentimental in his old age.

At least being British, there's a fair chance he'll spare us the worst of American schmaltz and flag waving.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Prometheus looks promising. But I do hope Ridley Scott hasn't gone preachy and sentimental in his old age.

At least being British, there's a fair chance he'll spare us the worst of American schmaltz and flag waving.
                Don't worry, this is not Avatar.

Though it's nowhere near as cryptic as Blade Runner there is plenty left to interpretation, I'm now hooked on reading the various theories people have posted.

Comment

I don't really want things answered as much as a decent film in keeping with the originals.

I'm starting to think the Alien tie in is just a marketing stunt to guarantee a sizable audience, Scott says its not a direct prequel but the studio needs to build hype and you can tell they shoehorned a certain scene to keep some people happy. The xenomorph aliens are not the central theme here.

Comment

I thought Prometheus was ok, it promised so much more though. Still the original Alien (and Aliens) and Blade Runner are far classier sci fi movies than that was.

The movie seemed to raise more questions than gave answers which was annoying, I like it how Ridley Scott has strong female characters though.

Comment

You get that in Alien vs. Predator. Er...
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X