• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whats the views on rate reductions?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boomed!

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I aim to please. Learnt it all from the 'Guide to successful contracting' written by HAB.
    With both of us churning through clients for our Personal Service Companies, we might make December's mortgage payments and get the kiddies a proper Christmas.

Comment

I've always said no on principle but in the current climate I might think twice. On the other hand, if you can afford to do it and have something to occupy your time then why not?
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Welcome to the world of business. In the real world, this happens all the time, companies trying strong-arm tactics with each other if they think the work is too valuable for the other party to give up.

Talk of fairness and rights is permie mentality.
        So the assumption is that there are only two choices: be a dopey permie, or do business mafia-style.

What about simply being a professional and expecting others to conduct business in a professional style?

If your expectations are high, you will eventually find yourself working alongside people who share your high expectations. If your expectations are low, then you will always be working alongside your fellow mafiosi. Because you have no aspiration for change.

So I stick by my advice to the OP to tell them to go stuff themselves. It is better to fail fast than to fail slowly. If you fail fast, you get the chance to start over. And sometimes, amazing to say, if you stick up for yourself, you don't fail at all.
        Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenb View Post
          So the assumption is that there are only two choices: be a dopey permie, or do business mafia-style.

What about simply being a professional and expecting others to conduct business in a professional style?

If your expectations are high, you will eventually find yourself working alongside people who share your high expectations. If your expectations are low, then you will always be working alongside your fellow mafiosi. Because you have no aspiration for change.

So I stick by my advice to the OP to tell them to go stuff themselves. It is better to fail fast than to fail slowly. If you fail fast, you get the chance to start over. And sometimes, amazing to say, if you stick up for yourself, you don't fail at all.
          WHS

If you don't stand for anything you will fall for everything.

Comment

Tell the client no, start looking for a better paying contract now. Always be looking for better pay. Inflation is at least 5% and in real terms at least double that if you take out the PS3 and plasma TV price from the basket of living costs.

As Warren Buffett would say:

“Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful”

Comment

Working...
            X