• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Reading really that bad?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Not as bad as Croydon, but nearly.
    You lie.

Croydon is a special type of place just like Slough.

I don't know anyone in Reading who has seen kids of around 5 openly piss on the street sanctioned by their parents like they have in Croydon.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
      Are you talking about working or living? Living in Slough is awful but working there is fine.
      Either. Although to be fair, I never lived or worked in Slough, the nearest I got was Maidenhead. It is, however a foul place imho. Just best to avoid both completely as far as I'm concerned.
      The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
        Either. Although to be fair, I never lived or worked in Slough, the nearest I got was Maidenhead. It is, however a foul place imho. Just best to avoid both completely as far as I'm concerned.
        I worked in Slough for almost a year. Dreadfull. Nothing but concrete and chavs as far as the eye can see.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
          it's pretty grim, think basingstoke, bracknell, woking, slough..
          Reading. It's not that bad.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I think Reading's good, as long as you're not driving.

It's got a busy town centre - lots of shops and restaurants, including a couple of very nice ones. You've got the river and the canal, so plenty of green space / recreational opportunity, and it's a stone's throw from some lovely countryside.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              You lie.

Croydon is a special type of place just like Slough.

I don't know anyone in Reading who has seen kids of around 5 openly piss on the street sanctioned by their parents like they have in Croydon.
              There was a house that I used to walk past on the way to Reading station whose occupants thought the way of dealing with soiled nappies was to throw them, unfolded, into their front garden.

While working in Maidenhead, the entire office witnessed an Asian lady passing by, stopped, gathered up her sari(?), squatted down and pi$$ed right on the pavement.
              The vegetarian option.

Comment

While working in Maidenhead, the entire office witnessed an Asian lady passing by, stopped, gathered up her sari(?), squatted down and pi$$ed right on the pavement.
                Luckily git, I always have to pay to see stuff like that
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Well if it's good enough for Paula Radcliffe it's good enough for anyone.

Funniest incident like that I've seen was observing a drunken old gent pissing out of a pub door mid afternoon. The area was a typical northern tuliphole though so easy mistake to make.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Spent eight years there. Reading isn't hell on earth, but you can start to feel the London effect there.
                    Great for lunchtimes and nights out, but I wouldn't live there. Draw circles around Whitley, and Dee Road in Tilehurst and colour them in red if you're renting.
                    On balance, I'd go for Basingstoke, which still has a bit of life about it and is also still handy for the trains and motorway to the smoke if you fancy a trip out. Likewise Bracknell.
                    Newbury is very quiet, if you like your peace and quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                      Luckily git, I always have to pay to see stuff like that
                      Perv! It fair put me off my mid-morning hob-nob.
                      The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                      X