• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could you honestly say you would not have joined in?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I can answer the OP accurately, because I have been there. I was with a gang of about 25 'mates' who went into Liverpool town centre, as soon as I found out they were targetting students for a thumping and a robbing, I and a couple of others left.
    On another occasion I was caught up in a disturbance that turned into a riot, and I beat a hasty.
    So I may have had a very colourful and mispent youth, but I can say no, I wouldnt have joined in.

I think I have always preferred single handed rather than mob combat. So if there are any fat, loudmouthed, peabrained nasty sub-intellectual peabrains around, who want their teeth knocking so far down their throat that they will have to stick a toothbrush up their @rse to brush their teeth, please step forward and make yourself known

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Bzzzzzzt!! Repetition; "peabrain".
    That's just in case MarillionFan didn't understand the first use of the word.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
      Bzzzzzzt!! Repetition; "peabrain".
      heh heh. you got me
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        That's just in case MarillionFan didn't understand the first use of the word.
        I guessed that by his first adjective.

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
          How many of us, hand on heart, could say that there is no way we would have joined in the riots?

I am of a certain age now and am fairly confident I would not engage in this kind of behaviour, but I was fairly "colourful" in my youth.

I am not so sure that had this happened around me in my earlier life that I would not have joined in the riots. I do not believe I have ever been a thief and would hope that I would not have joined the looting, but I am not certain.

I am enraged by what I have seen in the last few days and the grumpy old man in me wants to see draconian punishments meted out, but there is a little voice in the back of my head that keeps saying "that's you that is".

Joined in! I've been outside Curries in Leeds for the last two nights and not a riot insight; how can Leeds call itself a major British city when it can't even organise a loot of Curries and I can't get that new condensing dryer for Mrs Gibbon.

Fecking disappointed.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

How many of us, hand on heart, could say that there is no way we would have joined in the riots?

I am of a certain age now and am fairly confident I would not engage in this kind of behaviour, but I was fairly "colourful" in my youth.

I am not so sure that had this happened around me in my earlier life that I would not have joined in the riots. I do not believe I have ever been a thief and would hope that I would not have joined the looting, but I am not certain.

I am enraged by what I have seen in the last few days and the grumpy old man in me wants to see draconian punishments meted out, but there is a little voice in the back of my head that keeps saying "that's you that is".
            At any age, I would not have joined in such activities. Looting and vandalism in fact detracts from any causes that I am interest in. The activity of these rioters is nothing more than what is already their daily activity with the exception that they are doing it as a group at the same time. Ie: they are a bunch of thugs anyway.

I am all for political protest but what seems to happen is when there is peaceful protest with unarmed participants; the police will come in with full force and disperse the crowd. When robbers, loots and vandals are armed; the police run away.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

There is one thing that has been mentioned a couple of times, I think it's quite important. The issue of bystanders and spectators.
              This must be a nightmare for the police, and a great bit of camoflage for the neer do wells

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                Well I must say that if it was a looted shop which had trainers or clothes - then no.

But if it was a music shop with a Fender Strat 75 that I had me heart set on - well ....
                then despair for modern youth, Alfred. I was reading on another forum that one Fender Strat was used to bash in a Cash Converters and another one was used to break into a Lidls...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I am pleased to hear so many of you are so confident that you never would have joined in.

I know I took part in a demo or two when I was younger that threatened to get ugly (but never did). Anti Nazi League ones were the most likely to go off, but there were others.
                  I attended a few footie matches that did get violent (I stopped attending because of this) but nowhere near me.

Looking back I sometimes think if it had been right in front of me I may not have walked.

I wasnt suggesting any of you would do it now, nor was I suggesting you would loot and burn. Just wondered if any of you had actually asked yourselves the question.

Glad to hear none of you have ever been part of a "mob" and you are all so clean living.
                  Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Glad to hear none of you have ever been part of a "mob" and you are all so clean living.
                    Don't mention it.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      RichardCranium is presently in police custody.
                      What's he 'accused' of having done then?
                      "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Working...
                      X