• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lack of software engineering talent 'could derail London’s Tech City'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    just over half what they could probably get in the financial institutions here.
    If you factor in higher rate tax the gap won't be as huge, they probably won't get jobs in financial institution anyway without experience there, something they are getting in that startup.

Comment

Sorry, but its the wrong place for a tech hub. Given the rental rates, and what companies would have to pay people its on a loser.

I can't see that there's a lack of talent...I'm sure there are a lot of older programmers walking the streets looking for work. It's more likely a complete reluctance to work in a London full stop.

This could mean that London's tech hub will be staffed with bobs. Which, given the back-door deal that Indian has made with the EU, make a lot of sense now.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        Given the rental rates, and what companies would have to pay people its on a loser.
        Do you think rents are cheap in Silicon Valley? They ain't, just like in London, but the real difference is that apart from fairly inexpensive real talent they've got VCs who can put enough money to afford rates and other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          It might be your going rate but if business can't earn enough to afford such developer then it won't hire such developers and they'll either have to get job in place that pays is or adjust their market expectations.

260 (working days a year) x £500 = £130k cost to business, that's very high and very few businesses can afford such expense even if the person in question is Einstein. I'd rather hire 3x £40k good developers working in a permanent basis in a team.
          If you could just get one decent developer on board it might be a start.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            If you could just get one decent developer on board it might be a start.
            Have you done your SKA clone yet? Hurry up because people you probably wanted to scrape data from will be closing down later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Do you think rents are cheap in Silicon Valley? They ain't, just like in London, but the real difference is that apart from fairly inexpensive real talent they've got VCs who can put enough money to afford rates and other stuff.
              I've been to Silicon Valley, I was offered a job there. I know what rental prices are like and what the home prices are. Salaries are pretty damn good there too. They are still, however, probably cheaper than NY prices. Silicon Valley works because there are two fantastic universities there pumping out talent, the US has fantastic investment rules and tax laws...and the weather ain't half bad either.

Putting a techhub in one of the world's most expensive cities with a relatively low quality of living is a white elephant about to be born. Its just more of this "build it and they will come" mentality. The more I hear about this, the more I wonder what back handers Cameron gets from it.

If the govt. created better investment rules a UK Silicon Valley would just happen on its own I bet.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                Putting a techhub in one of the world's most expensive cities
                They had some pretty high profile successes recently such as TweetDeck.

Proper tech VCs are pretty much non-existant in this country and those who exist focus on London and Cambridge/Oxford.

Comment

What is stupid about Tech City is that it already exists apart from the fact the Government is involved. Silicon Roundabout has been hosting start-ups for years some of which (Spotify) have been slightly more success than SKA?

Mind you SKA would have been successful in you'd set up in the valley just look at SEOmoz.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Spotify is very successful for sure, but they had plenty of funding, deals with big content providers and their stuff appeals to very wide audience.

SEOmoz is based in Seattle. If my parents moved to LA at the end of 80s like part of our family I'd certainly be in Silicon Valley by now...

IMHO the Govt should do what it is meant to do - cut taxes to encourage innovation, especially anything that brings direct investment: low CGT on shares held over X years, cut down or remove business rates and reduce Corp Tax for any company that makes serious amount.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      Mind you SKA would have been successful in you'd set up in the valley just look at SEOmoz.
                      SKA might have been successful if it worked.

Comment

Working...
                      X