• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lack of software engineering talent 'could derail London’s Tech City'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Why do contractors get work?
    We do use contractors.

At high rate too. But it is the appropriate use of contractors. As you'd expect of SKA Ltd.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      There's a startup next door. The CEO is 30, all his staff are younger, and he pays just over half what they could probably get in the financial institutions here. They are probably doing much more interesting stuff though.
      That's a young mans game. Once they become a bit jaded by failures that are completely out of their hands, they will go for the coin in order to be the person who has started the company.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Experienced people are very important for startups, but if you start paying them £500 per day you'd go bankrupt pretty quickly.
        If they are really top end, you would cut them in with a share of the company wouldn't you?

Comment

I think the idea is that the experienced and expert £500/day people should be among those starting these companies. I suspect it's not just a lack of available staff that dissuades people from doing this, but also the other costs and insane levels of bureaucracy associated with any non-trivial business activities in the UK.

I have spoken to a few friends about this, and most people earning good contractor money simply cannot be arsed with the hassle of scaling up beyond a one man operation.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Well you will get them but they will leave sharpish when they work out you are under paying them.

Why do contractors get work?
            If someone took a 25k job then they would be really desperate and you can bet that they would searching (and would get) a higher paying job after starting your crappy slave wage gig. You would find it hard to get them and impossible to keep them.

Comment

£20-25K per year for someone with 2 years experience to live in London.
              this is a joke yeah?!?
              sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
                this is a joke yeah?!?
                £25K in Tottenham is a good wage.

Plenty of houses and flats for sale there too.

Pick up a bargain!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  £25K in Tottenham is a good wage.

Plenty of trainers and flatscreens for sale there too.

Pick up a bargain!
                  FTFY
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    I have spoken to a few friends about this, and most people earning good contractor money simply cannot be arsed with the hassle of scaling up beyond a one man operation.

Yep. Employing people is a pain in the ass for many reasons.

My Plan B will involve only the three people I want to work with: Me, Myself, and I.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Bit of a lazy article really:

"While China and India create hundreds of thousands of new engineers each year, the UK struggles to produce 20,000. The latest figures from the Office of National Statistics reveal that nearly one million 16-24 year-olds are out of work as our skills base and educational system remains focused on a manufacturing economy that’s no longer fit for purpose. "

China - 1,350,000,000 people (21.6 x UK population)
                      India - 1,210,000,000 people (19.4 x UK population
                      UK - 62,500,000 people

So, if you pro-rate the UK's engineering production of 20,000 then you'd get 432,000 and 388,000 respectively to get a similar proportion of the population. So, them producing hundreds of thousands each year is about right...

Comment

Working...
                      X