• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

White Riot!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as we understand each other, grammar is not that important. Yeh, you know, like, innit, will probably be tommorrow's correct grammar.

In any case, as certain people on CUK so amply demonstrate, you can use all the right words to state a point very precisely and people still don't understand because their emotionally driven brains read what they want to read; they focus on parts and ignore the rest or just invent a subtext that they would like to drivel about.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      As long as we understand each other, grammar is not that important. Yeh, you know, like, innit, will probably be tommorrow's correct grammar.
      It is when you writing exam papers marked by middle-aged and older lecturers who have in-built prejudices against those who were educated in the comprehensive system.

In any case, as certain people on CUK so amply demonstrate, you can use all the right words to state a point very precisely and people still don't understand because their emotionally driven brains read what they want to read; they focus on parts and ignore the rest or just invent a subtext that they would like to drivel about.
      The average reading age of The Times is 11 so you can't expect the average poster on here to have better reading comprehension than that.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I don't know whether 'grammar' is really the most important part of educating people in the use of and structure of language. I think that it's more important to be able to analyse what you're being told and recognise the weasel words, framing and propaganda that are thrown at us every day. Language can be used to tell the truth, but also to decieve, and a good knowledge of language and literature can help in detecting deceit. But obviously, picking out the subtexts in some literary work requires some intelligence and doesn't appear immediately relevant to everyone. Also, it doesn't require the learning of Latin. Better to learn English to a high standard and learn modern languages for their practical use than to analyse texts of a language that isn't used any more.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          I don't know whether 'grammar' is really the most important part of educating people in the use of and structure of language. I think that it's more important to be able to analyse what you're being told and recognise the weasel words, framing and propaganda that are thrown at us every day. Language can be used to tell the truth, but also to decieve, and a good knowledge of language and literature can help in detecting deceit. But obviously, picking out the subtexts in some literary work requires some intelligence and doesn't appear immediately relevant to everyone. Also, it doesn't require the learning of Latin. Better to learn English to a high standard and learn modern languages for their practical use than to analyse texts of a language that isn't used any more.
          Learning a foreign language even a dead one helps you acquired the skills to do that at a younger age. In English those skills are normally acquired at A level.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The reason I dont like latin is because the lawyers and doctors use it to bamboozle us.
            it bamboozles me .

Maybe I should start quoting Latin to the clients

'Ipso facto le project est progresso bien. Acheter le invoice. jhaldi jhaldi.

I might try it on Friday

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

On the plus side, knowing the Latin for ditch is fossa breaks the ice at parties. Plus being able to recite the lord's prayer backwards in Latin conjures up a much better class of demon.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
              X