• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Church bells and hammering.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    20.45 and the local church must have bell
    ringing on. Peeling away at this time.
    You remind me of the chap who bought a "fancy" flat by the local village green. He arrived one Sunday morning to complain about the church bells going off as it disturbed his wife's sleep.

I managed to keep a straight face up to the point he said that he wouldn't have bought the flat if he had known there was a church with bells nearby. I did think that a 150 year old church building with obvious bell tower would be a bit of a clue to anyone but clearly this wasn't the case.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      You remind me of the chap who bought a "fancy" flat by the local village green. He arrived one Sunday morning to complain about the church bells going off as it disturbed his wife's sleep.

I managed to keep a straight face up to the point he said that he wouldn't have bought the flat if he had known there was a church with bells nearby. I did think that a 150 year old church building with obvious bell tower would be a bit of a clue to anyone but clearly this wasn't the case.
      Dont be so fricking clueless. Do you have any idea how far away you can hear Church bells. The fella next door with the hammer is not as loud as the church which is a mile away!
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Dont be so fricking clueless. Do you have any idea how far away you can hear Church bells. The fella next door with the hammer is not as loud as the church which is a mile away!
        Why not sign up to the local satanic cult (with a false name and address) and encourage them to desecrate the church. Then resign from the cult and feign surprise when told about the devastating news about the church.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

He lives at most 100 feet away from the church. If it was a mile away I could have understood his complaint but given the distance it was blindly obvious he was a clueless numpty.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
            Oct '10. There's two of them?
            Black and gay!

The village must be in turmoil.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
              I quite like church bells. Beats the 5am call to prayer that wakes you up if you're staying in a Muslim city.
              I quite like both. Time and a place and all that, of course.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                I quite like both. Time and a place and all that, of course.
                If you lived in Istanbul before the authorities put their foot down you would have started to hate.

The call to pray used to last ten minutes as no to mosque started the announcement at the same time. It then started to get earlier and earlier as each Mosque raced to be the first to announce it.

Comment

Swiss law doesn't permit noise after 10pm, or on Sundays. Except the bloody church bells.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If you lived in Istanbul before the authorities put their foot down you would have started to hate.

The call to pray used to last ten minutes as no to mosque started the announcement at the same time. It then started to get earlier and earlier as each Mosque raced to be the first to announce it.
                    Could be a good sales opportunity for high powered tannoys. Yes, Mr Imam, this new 50,000 watt megablaster turbo 50X is even more powerful than the nextdoor neighbours!
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

They still do it at 5 am in Istanbul. Outside the City, everything stops for the evening call with the exception when there is football on the TV.
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X