• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

F1 moving to Sky - Time the BBC licence became optional

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought F1 said they wouldn't go to Sky because they want the biggest audience.

It'll be interesting how the coverage works when they only show 1/2 the races... probably the BBC commentators will spend 1/2 the time bitching about it
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports, said: "This is fantastic news for F1 fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in HD.
      Why is it fantastic news? Sky subscribers can see it already, and BBC are already showing it in HD. Doubtless the Sky commentators are crap too?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Not as bad as Denmark

The licence fee in Denmark is 2,260 kr[13] (€303.35) in media licence fee (which applies to all TVs, computers with Internet access above 256 kbit/s or with TV tuners or other devices that can receive broadcast TV: which actually means that you have to pay the TV licence if you have a relatively new mobile phone [14] ). Radio licence is 320 kr (around €43).
        Television licence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I say the same thing time and again.

You all might complain about the TV licence but unless you don't watch TV at all then you would not like living somewhere that there is no equivalent.

There's no licence where I am now and TV is abysmal.

We can get around the saturation advertising by not watching anything at the time it is broadcast and then fast-forwarding through the ads.

Can't do anything about the fact that the vast majority of the shows are lowest common denominator stuff, and all imported from the US, UK and to a lesser extent Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
            I say the same thing time and again.

You all might complain about the TV licence but unless you don't watch TV at all then you would not like living somewhere that there is no equivalent.

There's no licence where I am now and TV is abysmal.

We can get around the saturation advertising by not watching anything at the time it is broadcast and then fast-forwarding through the ads.

Can't do anything about the fact that the vast majority of the shows are lowest common denominator stuff, and all imported from the US, UK and to a lesser extent Australia.
            Gotta agree with that, I've lived in several countries and while UK may not be perfect, it's head and shoulders above the any other english speaking country I've lived in.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I thought F1 said they wouldn't go to Sky because they want the biggest audience.

It'll be interesting how the coverage works when they only show 1/2 the races... probably the BBC commentators will spend 1/2 the time bitching about it
              I think Bernie said that he would not go Pay-per-view and keep F1 on a free to air channel. Sky is not free to air, just wondered why ITV didn't put in a bid.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by http://www.tvlicensing.biz/
                In an age of virtually infinite digital choice, the BBC licence fee is unfair and cruel. No viewer has ever decided that the BBC should take £8 million a day from the public - approximately £3 billion a year.
                A simple nationwide boycott should bring them to their knees quick enough. There aren't enough courts in the land to prosecute eeeeverybody simultaneously, the backlog would take years to process.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by marksonline View Post
                  Well now the racing has gone to sky it would appear I need to buy another dish, buy a sky package, pay for someone to fit it along next to my freesat dish an pay to be switched on. Or I could buy another stand alone dish, point it to Europe watch the race on French TV and tune into the radio for a live commentary.
                  I don’t think so, life is hard enough right now
                  Good bye F1
                  I salute your staggering level of ignorance of satellite TV technology

I don't like the principle of the licence fee, but on balance it has to be said the BBC is probably a good thing and probably does result in greater quality than we might otherwise have. But even though I like to see F1 on "free" TV, and without ads, I can't really support the idea of a taxpayer funded broadcaster bidding millions in competition for the rights to premium content, like major sporting events. That's really not what the licence fee should be for.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by marksonline View Post
                    Or I could buy another stand alone dish, point it to Europe watch the race on French TV and tune into the radio for a live commentary.
                    That's a workable idea. One of my neighbours in te UK did that years ago because all the satellite salesmen he talked to were only interested in supplying English speaking channels.

Here on the mainland I get F1 and other sports events on something like half a dozen channels.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                      Gotta agree with that, I've lived in several countries and while UK may not be perfect, it's head and shoulders above the any other english speaking country I've lived in.
                      Agreed it can be dire in some places. In one place we survived on imported tapes and even the weather forecast was welcome.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X