• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

F1 moving to Sky - Time the BBC licence became optional

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wgas about F1 ?

cars going round and round and round and round

the most boring sh!t ever invented imho

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Dullest sport in the world which takes up too much time on the TV.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        Dullest sport in the world which takes up too much time on the TV.
        That's enough about Celtic vs Rangers. We're talking about F1.

Bloody outrage.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If only the BBC would get rid of the Archers! Having said that, it must be dirt cheap to make.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Yes!

(I got a neg rep after I said much the same sort of thing. You know who you are).
            Thankfully don't listen to Chris Moyles, though Lauren Laverne on 6 music drives me up the wall. I was glad when they got shot of George Lamb
            Last edited by norrahe; 29 July 2011, 09:19.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

My son absolutely loves F1 and knows every team and every driver's name. This morning he was watching the practise session on the red button.

But he watches the races over and over again - which ain't healthy for a 5 y/o.

We don't have a SKY subscription and I'll be damned if I ever get one. So a atleast my son will have to find something else to do.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                Thankfully don't listen to Chris Moyles, though Lauren Laverne on 6 music drives me up the wall. I was glad when they got shot of George Lamb
                LaLa - love her, iplayer playback of her keeps me going at work through the week. Best DJ on the beeb.
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                  Wasn't part of the problem with the F1 and the BBC that it was costing a huge portion of their sports budget for a small fraction of their audience?

Most probably right.

The only fair solution is to fragment the BBC service and allow us to pay for what we want. Just like Sky but without the adverts.

I'd pay to watch live sports and not much else on the BBC. Problem is they'd probably get greedy and try to charge the equivalent of a licence fee anyway.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
                    I always thought it was if you owned equipment capable of receiving television? So if I kept the big flat screen TV to watch DVD's, or put iPlayer etc through I would need a TV licence?

Yes, if you have a TV with an aerial socket, even de-tuned, they can still harrass you for payment. I've read cases where they prosecuted (and were successful) when someone had their TV detuned but the assessor placed his finger to the socket (acting as a make-shift aerial) and a slight picture was obtained. Their case being that the owner must have a portable arial hidden away.

I once tried avoiding paying a licence fee while temporary renting an apartment on a contract. They kept sending me letters but to my knowledge never turned up on the doorstep. Maybe their detector vans (you've seen one right ) aren't any use in an apartment block so they chose easier targets to persue.
                    Last edited by PAH; 29 July 2011, 10:09.
                    Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                      You don't need a TV licence unless you are watching or recording live broadcasts. Watching the iPlayer after the event is fine.

I think the beeb are going to change the rules so that if you have an internet connection you can receive their TV (via iPlayer) so should pay.

They are rolling out iPlayer access worldwide at a fee so it's inevitable they'll start charging those in the UK that don't have a licence.
                      Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Working...
                      X