• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NOW - Ding Ding - Round Two.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Murdoch won't get his hands on BSkyB now. Cameron is in hot water over Coulson and his only way out of trouble is to block the bid or kick it into the long grass. Besides, News Corp have withdrawn their offer to spin off Sky News -- strange move I thought because this just makes Cameron's task much easier.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

What we will see will be a move by Millibrand to try and bring in a motion to ensure that it is not possible for one person/business to own both newspapers and television.

Of course, Cameron is going
      to offer no opinion
      on this while Millibrand is going to be annihilated. His brother will be in charge in less than 12 months.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

So, can all of :

Daily Mail, Mail On Sunday
        Daily Express / Sunday Express
        Independent / IoS
        Guardian / Observer
        BBC, Sky, ITN etc

.. categorically state they NEVER used a dodgy source for a story; bribed someone; used police informants to tip them off; used unethical (if not illegal) 'social engineering' to gain a story ?

I doubt it..

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Beautifully vitriolic article by Trevor Kavanagh by the Sun. Looks like News International isn;t going to take this completely lying down and appears to be lining up it Ed Milliband, The BBC and The Guardian in it's sites for assassination. Let the Media wars start.

Death of a great paper is a real tragedy

By TREVOR KAVANAGH
          What a load of bitter tripe.

PS: MF are you formatting your entire posts or is that the software doing something weird?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
            Murdoch won't get his hands on BSkyB now. Cameron is in hot water over Coulson and his only way out of trouble is to block the bid or kick it into the long grass. Besides, News Corp have withdrawn their offer to spin off Sky News -- strange move I thought because this just makes Cameron's task much easier.

On Newsnight last night they were summising that the strategy is to let the brit papers change owner so News Corp can take over BSkyB with Sky News included.

Reasons for the strategy:

1. The 'contagion' of NOTW may be spreading to the other papers in wapping, beyond News International.

2. Sky is more profitable than the brit papers

3. The Competition Commission that is now overseeing the proposed buy-out will not be an issue if News Corp only own the TV news and not paper based news.

So if this is the case why did they burn NOTW instead of trying to offload them all together? Looks like a game of chess that still has everything to pay for. Especially now we have Gordon stepping into the war:

BBC News - Brown accuses News International of using criminals

News International respond with 'no comment' on above story. Where's my popcorn this war is getting interesting.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              2. Sky is more profitable than the brit papers
              Apparently the News International papers in Britain only bring in 10% of their worldwide newspaper cash.

And probably a bit less than that since last week.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Yeah. We're seeing the decline of printed news and them struggle to get people to pay for news online when there are already loads of free sites offering similar content, even Google News.

It's like the end of the roman empire. They won't go quietly.

Not sure if the beeb are expecting some major developments today, they've got a live coverage page on their site. I'm surprised Murdoch hasn't got it on Sky pay-per-view.

BBC News - Live: Phone hacking row
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                X