• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Silverstone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They want to make sure Vettel's #1 spot is as certain as possible in case Alonso/Ferrari step up... the constructors' is done and dusted but Alonso 1st Vettel 3rd would give Alonso a much bigger catch-up on Vettel. So it seemed sensible to do it that way - forcing the championship leader to let his team-mate pass is dumb because who cares about the #2 place in the championship?

I don't think they want to get rid of Webber, I think they want to ensure they keep Vettel and both titles. If that means Webber walks, they will have no trouble replacing him - he is a good driver but there are lots of others equally good, whereas Vettel is going to be getting offers from every big team so they need to hold on tight.

I can't see why Button or Hamilton would move to RB though. RB are elading now but by next season who knows... Mclaren and Ferrari are far better bets for being at least in the leading pack whereas RB could drop significantly - look at Mercedes (Brawn GP).

Personally I think Massa is out this year and Paul Di Resta looks like a hot property.
    I would love to see Webber leave and get replaced by Schumacher, so we can really see how he would cope in a decent car.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

That fact that they used team orders isn't the issue for me.

It's that Red Bull have been so adamant over the past few years that team orders are evil - and were calling for Ferrari to be severely punished last year - and were absolutely clear that they thought it was against the spirit of competition, which Red Bull as an overall brand are so proud of.

Also I don't buy this BS that team orders become more acceptable at a certain point (i.e. last 3 laps etc.). It's easy to principled and high and mighty when you're not under pressure, but what really counts is when the heat is on, so if you're preapred to issue team orders at any point... then you can't whine and bitch about others that do it when they're under pressure.

Comment

Quote of the day though - Hamilton on the F1 Forum when asked if he thought it was going to have to go and see the stewards after his last corner tussle with Massa.

"I've got like a platinum card for the stewards, so I expect to be there"

Doesn't look like he's getting any penalty though...
        Last edited by centurian; 10 July 2011, 15:52.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          WHS. They always say "it's the team that counts", in which case it doesn't matter who finishes first. He also said there'd certainly be an accident, which suggests his star German driver would deliberately crash rather than give up the place - hardly being a team player now is it? If there were going to be team orders perhaps it should have been a "Mark is faster than you. " moment.
          Exactly. Not sure if the Jenson/RB rumour is true but I did see a story on it yesterday.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
            Quote of the day though - Hamilton on the F1 Forum when asked if he thought it was going to have to go and see the stewards after his last corner tussle with Massa.

"I've got like a platinum card for the stewards, so I expect to be there"

Doesn't look like he's getting any penalty though...
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
              Not sure if the Jenson/RB rumour is true...

So that's the reason they decided to let JB out of the pits without a wheel nut. Poor guy could have been killed. He should have a word with the HR dept about health and safety.

Overall a pretty boring race. I can see merit in Bernie's suggestion about having water sprinklers at all tracks to liven them up.

If I was Bernie with his billions I'd go the whole hog and change it into the Wacky Races. :muttley:
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                Exactly. Not sure if the Jenson/RB rumour is true but I did see a story on it yesterday.
                I think Lewis is more likely. It seems unlikely that he'd ever leave McLaren, but then it seemed unlikely Button would ever leave Brawn. Hamilton and Vettel would certainly be interesting team mates, and can you imagine the day Christian Horner tries to give either of them team orders?
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                  That fact that they used team orders isn't the issue for me.

It's that Red Bull have been so adamant over the past few years that team orders are evil - and were calling for Ferrari to be severely punished last year - and were absolutely clear that they thought it was against the spirit of competition, which Red Bull as an overall brand are so proud of.
                  Last year it was illegal. This year it is not, and whatever he personally things about the rules, his job is to play by and use those rules to best advantage. To expect otherwise in professional sport is naive.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  I think Lewis is more likely. It seems unlikely that he'd ever leave McLaren, but then it seemed unlikely Button would ever leave Brawn.
                  It was always pretty obvious JB would leave. Brawn had clearly got lucky that year - so firstly McLaren were a safer bet for being near the front and secondly Brawn couldn't pay anything like as much as JB thought a world champion was worth.

Voluntarily leaving a team like McLaren or Ferrari to go elsewhere is rarely a sensible move because every other team is more erratic in performance. If you join Red Bull, next year they might suck and not have the same resources to fix it.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Last year it was illegal. This year it is not, and whatever he personally things about the rules, his job is to play by and use those rules to best advantage. To expect otherwise in professional sport is naive.
                    Fair enough - but last year he gave the impression that both he, and RBR were fundamentally against team orders.

If he has changed his mind, perhaps he would care to retract some of the criticism he dished out to Ferarri.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                      If I was Bernie with his billions I'd go the whole hog and change it into the Wacky Races. :muttley:
                      <snigger>
                      Can I get good odds on the Anthill Mob now?
                      +50 Xeno Geek Points
                      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                      X