• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

renting a flat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    That is standard practice, every place I have rented the initial deposit is non returnable, last place that was £180.
    No its not.

Every single place I have rented at, including where I currently rent, the deposit is only none refundable if you back out of the deal. If you fail the credit check, or they decide not to let to you for any reason, you get the deposit back.
    Still Invoicing

Comment

** update **

I could get a guarantor - but its just too embarassing - so I'm just not going to.

I've a meeting with a mortgage-advisor in a week, who sounds very positive (I could hear his hands chaffing over the fone lol).

I've kept the original agent upto date via email, and he's going to have a chat with the owner ...

(oh and btw it was only £136 admin fee, not a 'deposit' really, still ... not a trivial amount)

richard

Comment

Originally posted by richard101 View Post
        (oh and btw it was only £136 admin fee, not a 'deposit' really, still ... not a trivial amount)
        BTW; You will not get taken seriously as a contractor on here with that attitude, you are meant to give that sort sum to the waiter as a tip
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

Don't rent, buy.

Interest rates aren't going up no matter how high inflation goes. House prices might fall in real terms (i.e. adjusted for inflation), but your income won't rise, so there's no point waiting.

At least when the pound finally dies and is worthless in a few years time, you'll own a place the debt will be nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by richard101 View Post
            ** update **

I could get a guarantor - but its just too embarassing - so I'm just not going to.

I've a meeting with a mortgage-advisor in a week, who sounds very positive (I could hear his hands chaffing over the fone lol).

I've kept the original agent upto date via email, and he's going to have a chat with the owner ...

richard
            I've seen this before, one of my friend rent a flat in blackwall, london and they ask for £2000 or a guarantor. I thought it was a scam, but it isnt.

Comment

Working...
            X