• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: renting a flat

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "renting a flat"

Collapse

• MikeNguyen
    replied
    Originally posted by richard101 View Post
    ** update **

I could get a guarantor - but its just too embarassing - so I'm just not going to.

I've a meeting with a mortgage-advisor in a week, who sounds very positive (I could hear his hands chaffing over the fone lol).

I've kept the original agent upto date via email, and he's going to have a chat with the owner ...

(oh and btw it was only £136 admin fee, not a 'deposit' really, still ... not a trivial amount)

richard
    I've seen this before, one of my friend rent a flat in blackwall, london and they ask for £2000 or a guarantor. I thought it was a scam, but it isnt.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Don't rent, buy.

Interest rates aren't going up no matter how high inflation goes. House prices might fall in real terms (i.e. adjusted for inflation), but your income won't rise, so there's no point waiting.

At least when the pound finally dies and is worthless in a few years time, you'll own a place the debt will be nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    (oh and btw it was only £136 admin fee, not a 'deposit' really, still ... not a trivial amount)
    BTW; You will not get taken seriously as a contractor on here with that attitude, you are meant to give that sort sum to the waiter as a tip

Leave a comment:

• richard101
    replied
    ** update **

I could get a guarantor - but its just too embarassing - so I'm just not going to.

I've a meeting with a mortgage-advisor in a week, who sounds very positive (I could hear his hands chaffing over the fone lol).

I've kept the original agent upto date via email, and he's going to have a chat with the owner ...

richard

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    That is standard practice, every place I have rented the initial deposit is non returnable, last place that was £180.
    No its not.

Every single place I have rented at, including where I currently rent, the deposit is only none refundable if you back out of the deal. If you fail the credit check, or they decide not to let to you for any reason, you get the deposit back.

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    The deposit's non-returnable even if they don't rent the flat to you?? What a brilliant scam!
    That is standard practice, every place I have rented the initial deposit is non returnable, last place that was £180.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Pay the six months in advance, worked for me....
    Yes, or offer a larger deposit e.g. 3 months instead of six weeks. I've done that before.

Can you get a guarantor?

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Pay the six months in advance, worked for me....

Leave a comment:

• richard101
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Most landlords will insist on a credit check, so the chances it's this that has failed. I had a similar situation a few years back because the credit checking company were a bunch of tulipwits who claimed I hadn't filed my accounts at companies house when in actual fact they just didn't know what they were doing.

I put them in contact with my accountant, who managed to sort it out. I also refused to pay the credit checking fee.
    Hi, indeed I had a credit-check - and it all came back 'accept' except since I've only been contracting (this time around) for 5 months 'accept with guarantor'. (and me been paying mortgage for 21 years - until divorce). Crazy!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Most landlords will insist on a credit check, so the chances it's this that has failed. I had a similar situation a few years back because the credit checking company were a bunch of tulipwits who claimed I hadn't filed my accounts at companies house when in actual fact they just didn't know what they were doing.

I put them in contact with my accountant, who managed to sort it out. I also refused to pay the credit checking fee.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Hi All

I just got turned down for a flat I was trying to rent as they couldn't get a salary figure for me.

v hacked off, as I put a non-returnable deposit on it :x

advise please

Have a demonstration with family and friends on Saturday from 9am to 530pm outside their offices with bill boards and hand out leaflets to passers by.

You will have to stick to the pavement and ensure you are off their property.

If they unfortunately have to close for that day then so be it........

I'm sure your deposit is less than a days takings for them.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by richard101
    Well, if you wanted to call matt on <telephone number redacted> about it - that would be ok

regards

Richard Smith
    So that would be M&M Properties (Lettings) Ltd then. Can I congratulate them on finding a new way to make Estate Agents even more slimy then they usually are.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    The deposit's non-returnable even if they don't rent the flat to you?? What a brilliant scam!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    you should get that deposit back from them, it's not you who has pulled out of the deal.

Can you offer them a bigger rental deposit as an incentive

and next time just make a salary up, it's not a mortgage application!

Leave a comment:

• richard101
    started a topic renting a flat

renting a flat

Hi All

I just got turned down for a flat I was trying to rent as they couldn't get a salary figure for me.

v hacked off, as I put a non-returnable deposit on it :x

advise please

Working...
X