• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fings things to do in Barrow - are there any?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah, it won't work unless you like the Doors, which I don't.

I might learn how to fly, there's a small air field on Walney which is operated by BAe. That could be fun.

Comment

If you are into hiking , climbing or other outdoor pursuits you'll be fine. the Lake District is right on your doorstep and there's plenty to do. Other than that, you're screwed.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        If you are into hiking , climbing or other outdoor pursuits you'll be fine. the Lake District is right on your doorstep and there's plenty to do. Other than that, you're screwed.
        WDBS. One mate who worked up there took up rebuilding a classic car; the other mate took plenty of reading material.

When I'm in a place with nowt to do, I do development work on a Plan B or pick a new skill to learn and get stuck into that.

P.S. It's Barrow in Furness
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I might have a go at Sharepoint Dev. I'm always being asked if I can do that stuff

Comment

Spent three months at Barrow as an MOD apprentice as a 17 year old - first trip away from home.

Used to work on the subs there.

Get up in morning - dark, raining - go to work. Get on boat. Lunch time, dark and raining. Back on boat. Home time - dark and raining.

I never want to go there again.

Having said that two of my best friends are from Barrow!
            Beer
            is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Fck me, you got the tulipty end of a stick.

I'd take up crack cocaine as a hobby. Everyone else there does.
              Posh c**t. Horse tranquilisers are the local delicacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Horse tranquilisers are the local delicacy.
                Sold from the chip shop?

Comment

I forgot to mention.

Once you are there, buy the Westmorland Gazette: Lake District, Kendal, Cumbria, news, sport, tourist guides, weather, walks to get news of events to visit and things to do.

Exciting things like terrier racing await you

Don't knock it until you've tried it. Terrier racing is a good spectator sport, mainly because it inevitably degenerates into mayhem.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                  X