• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have You Ever Down Tools And Went On Strike?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I joined a union, as a contractor, on my first contract. My then boss was on the committee so it kept him sweet and I got free legal advice and stuff. Apparently.

I think I'm still in it.
    I once applied for a permie job at a newspaper (things were dire in the early 90s). The application form wanted my complete union history, and of course I didn't have one.

Wasn't surprised when I didn't hear anything from them, even though I could have done the technical part of the job in my sleep.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      I joined a union, as a contractor, on my first contract. My then boss was on the committee so it kept him sweet and I got free legal advice and stuff. Apparently.

I think I'm still in it.
      I doubt it unless you're still paying the protection racket.

When I were a lad and I'd just finished my engineering apprenticeship I had no choice, the 'elders' on the shop floor wouldn't talk to me unless I joined. I later found out our rep was paid a night shift premium without actually having the inconvenience of doing a night shift, I guess it was a sweetener from the company.

Never again.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I was a member of IG Metall for quite a while but we couldn't go on strike as the company didn't recognise them. We only joined so we could use their lawyers for the Works Council when taking the company to court which we did a number of times, in particular for unfair dismissal, and won all our cases.
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

The Musicians’ Union is a globally-respected organisation which represents over 30,000 musicians working in all sectors of the music business.

As well as negotiating on behalf of musicians with all the major employers in the industry, the MU offers a range of services tailored for the self-employed by providing assistance for professional and student musicians of all ages.

Good rates, non-negotiable, no strikes that I've been a part of and membership is essential to get work in TV, radio etc.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Was vice chair of the Scottish Branch of the IPMS in 93-94.

Used my position to negotiate my own VR deal and left permiedom forever with a nice redundo package
            Last edited by TestMangler; 30 June 2011, 21:23.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              The Musicians’ Union is a globally-respected organisation which represents over 30,000 musicians working in all sectors of the music business.

As well as negotiating on behalf of musicians with all the major employers in the industry, the MU offers a range of services tailored for the self-employed by providing assistance for professional and student musicians of a

Good rates, non-negotiable, no strikes that I've been a part of and membership is essential to get work in TV, radio etc.
              What happened if you did strike? No buskers.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                What happened if you did strike? No buskers.
                Why would a busker be in the MU?

No Dr Who incedental music, live concerts, jingles being pulled etc. Who gives a tulip
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                X