• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wait a minute, let me get this straight - If Greece defaults

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    [

Perhaps Britain should just join the euro, you know better the devil you know and all that.

Why on earth would anyone after all that has happened be stupid enough now to join the Euro?
    It would be much more convenient when going on holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      What - to Scotland, with their funny currency

I still remember that was one of the main arguments for signing up to the Euro - back when we had a half chance of joining "Think of the all the money you'll save when you go abroad on holiday"

A bigger problem is that a fair few people would have probably been swayed by that argument - though very fortunately for us, not enough to swing it.

Comment

I don't think Greece will default outright. There will probably be some kind of debt restructuring. This, however, WILL trigger an Event of Default under the CDS contracts, so they'll all pay out.
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          1. Not everyone goes on holiday in the Eurozone
          2. As the value of the Pound:Euro has decreased more and more British people have gone on holiday outside the Eurozone .

Indicating that if we joined the Euro because the price of everything in Eurozone countries would go up more people would go on holiday outside the Eurozone.

So as importers and exporters are managing there is no reason for us to join the Euro.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Well we've not exactly got a track record in fiscal righteousness, have we?

All this talk of 'we got our own currency' we're saved! In my eyes the people of Britain are seen very much as a commodity, a way out, they'll pay no matter what. I'm beginning to think it's true. I admire the Greek people challenging the status quo.

What we've actually got is out of control inflation and a standard of living that continues to decline. Year on year you've seen the £ in your pocket become weaker and weaker, what are you defending?
            We may not have a track record of fiscal righteousness but it is our fiscal righteousness. Why on earth do you think that someone else could make our financial decisions and do so in our favour?

The complacency is mind boggling. The wars that were fought and the people killed so that we could have free democratic control over, and be accountable for, our financial decisions. To give it away just because some of you think that we are not very good at running our finances.
            Well who else is better?
            At least with our own currency with the economy struggling the value of the pound will fall
            making our goods and services more competitive and slow down imports. That is how a currency works.
            So what if the pound becomes worth less for a while. It is the price we pay for indulging labour for so many years.
            It is all very well congratulating the Greek people but it is they that have voted for the people who run their economy, and it is they that now have to pay the price to straighten out their economy. They can protest all they like but they will have to sort out their own problems.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
              No, but you probably have quite a few pennies invested in funds/products that have invested in Greece - even though they don't know it themselves until the dominos start falling.
              I cunningly get around this by not having any savings/fund/stocks at all.

They said I was dumb, but who's laughing now?
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                I still remember that was one of the main arguments for signing up to the Euro - back when we had a half chance of joining "Think of the all the money you'll save when you go abroad on holiday"

A bigger problem is that a fair few people would have probably been swayed by that argument - though very fortunately for us, not enough to swing it.
                The best argument I heard for joining is that we might get access to lower interest rates. Colleagues in Germany and Holland were paying 5% on their mortgages when I was paying ~15%. Naturally I couldn't see the UK banks being in favour of that.

A friend did take out a French mortgage, but that hurt when the pound plummeted against the Franc in the 90s.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

The complacency is mind boggling.
                  Speak for yourself.

We may not have a track record of fiscal righteousness but it is our fiscal righteousness. Why on earth do you think that someone else could make our financial decisions and do so in our favour?
                  Because we're incapable of making the right decisions. That fact interest rates have been kept so low is criminal.

The wars that were fought and the people killed so that we could have free democratic control over, and be accountable for, our financial decisions. To give it away just because some of you think that we are not very good at running our finances.
                  A number of my family members died in Briton's many wars, recently too, and I solemnly tell you currency or finance had nothing to do with they're taking part in conflict.

Well who else is better? .
                  The Swiss, the Norwegians and less not forget the Canadians.

At least with our own currency with the economy struggling the value of the pound will fall
                  making our goods and services more competitive and slow down imports.
                  And what goods exactly are we going to export to the world that's going to pull us out of this mess we're in? Zip.

Services? You've got to be kidding me. Skilled workers in the service sector, well skills are portable, they'll simply leave the country as they have done since 2008. I've a feeling you'll not be joining them.

It is all very well congratulating the Greek people but it is they that have voted for the people who run their economy, and it is they that now have to pay the price to straighten out their economy. They can protest all they like but they will have to sort out their own problems.
                  And that's what you call Democracy? That's the democracy we fought tooth and nail for? Even in our own country calling what we have democracy is tantamount criminal. Our so called politicians would appear spineless and without authority unless permission is given by their financial masters.
                  Last edited by scooterscot; 27 June 2011, 19:58.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Speak for yourself.

Because we're incapable of making the right decisions. That fact interest rates have been kept so low is criminal.

A number of my family members died in Briton's many wars, recently too, and I solemnly tell you currency or finance had nothing to do with they're taking part in conflict.

The Swiss, the Norwegians and less not forget the Canadians.

And what goods exactly are we going to export to the world that's going to pull us out of this mess we're in? Zip.

Services? You've got to be kidding me. Skilled workers in the service sector, well skills are portable, they'll simply leave the country as they have done since 2008. I've a feeling you'll not be joining them.

And that's what you call Democracy? That's the democracy we fought tooth and nail for? Even in our own country calling what we have democracy is tantamount criminal. Our so called politicians would appear spineless and without authority unless permission is given by their financial masters.
                    The Swiss, Canadians and Norwegians are not members of the Euro. Do you realise (quite apart from being able to explain the logistics of having these people run our economy) what a stupid comment you have made

Does it occur to you that maybe they don't wish to join the Euro for very good reasons
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Britain should not adopt the Euro as it would place too many restraints on our National Economic Policy - also the Eurio was designed to prelude the EU Political Union - the reality is that Politcal Union with the current EU states membership is not going to happen - certainly not in its current format.

Britain should remain with the EC - the Euro project is not finished - it will survive this crises and energe the stronger - ditto for the US indebted economy - but the ultimate goal of the Eurocrats - ie European Fiscal followed by Political Union - will not be achieved any time soon.
                      Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 28 June 2011, 07:52.

Comment

Working...
                      X