• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Modern Devs eh....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    Not necessarily.. some just have a flair for it I guess, others have to work at it night and day. Granted some of the latter turn out to be very good, but equally a lot still can't write decent code - even if they do know the name of every design pattern in the book.
    Everyone with a "flair" or "natural talent" turns out to have developed it by having done a lot of what is called "deliberate practice" starting from a young age. This is true of all sorts of musicians, athletes, writers as well as programmers. The current thinking is that it takes about 10 years of stretching to do something a little bit harder than you have done before to become an expert, although this varies a little from discipline to discipline.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Everyone with a "flair" or "natural talent" turns out to have developed it by having done a lot of what is called "deliberate practice" starting from a young age. This is true of all sorts of musicians, athletes, writers as well as programmers. The current thinking is that it takes about 10 years of stretching to do something a little bit harder than you have done before to become an expert, although this varies a little from discipline to discipline.
      I agree, look at the best in any field and I can guarantee they don't spent a few hours a day training, if you think tiger woods just woke up one day playing perfect golf then you are dreaming. The best programmers are programming most of their waking day.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
        I agree, look at the best in any field and I can guarantee they don't spent a few hours a day training, if you think tiger woods just woke up one day playing perfect golf then you are dreaming. The best programmers are programming most of their waking day.
        Cock waggling over how is the best programmer is not what we do here sunshine.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Exactly. It's about pwning.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

How about that?
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
            X