• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Airbus humps Boeing into submission at Paris airshow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Ah yes, British WasteOfSpace as it's now commonly become known among the engineering fraternity. Ever since Airbus pulled the jollys out 10 years ago we left. You know they used to have their own private A320 flying engineers over to Toulouse on a daily basis, business class seats, it was fantastic you felt quite important.
    They're decommissioning the runway next year so no chance of the jolly’s ever coming back let alone any ramp up of volume manufacturing.

On the other hand GKN have invested heavily in composite technologies so the high tech stuff will be there for some time yet.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Pilot error all the way.

A pilot is only as good as the information he receives.

Airbus may as well go one step further and have the planes flyable remotely if the pilots in situ are really the weak link.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post

Airbus may as well go one step further and have the planes flyable remotely if the pilots in situ are really the weak link.
        Why stop there?

BAE Mantis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Your thinking a bigger window? "Look out! Trees!!"
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            All we need now is a bigger slice of the work from the Frogs. You'd think that with a chocolate £ melting fast that UK manufacturing would be very attractive to Airbus, more than ever before.
            Engine contol system is designed in the UK so that's something I suppose - but struggling to get the electonic engineers
            Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
              Engine contol system is designed in the UK so that's something I suppose - but struggling to get the electonic engineers

Yes but goodrich an american company so the profits don't stay in the UK.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Your thinking a bigger window? "Look out! Trees!!"
                I'm thinking an amalgamation of mechanical and electronic instruments, so if the electronics start playing up (as seem to have happened in both Airbus crashes I mentioned) the pilot can quickly press the 'sod off' button and take over using the old fashion methods. The problem then becomes how soon does the pilot realise the electronics are telling porkies and decide to take full control themself.

Though maybe it's more cost effective to go the way they are and pay out compensation when it all goes engines up. Assuming they can't blame it on the (probably) dead pilot.
                Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

I'm thinking an amalgamation of mechanical and electronic instruments, so if the electronics start playing up (as seem to have happened in both Airbus crashes I mentioned) the pilot can quickly press the 'sod off' button and take over using the old fashion methods. The problem then becomes how soon does the pilot realise the electronics are telling porkies and decide to take full control themself.
                  You've left yourself wide open for ridicule and ignorance of aviation control systems.

If you really believe the pilots do not have ultimate control of the aircraft, I tell you now no pilot would set foot on the flight deck.

Risk of an event at an airshow is always greater than reality because pilots are under more pressure to demonstrate A/C capabilities. Also the manoeuvres on display were very untypical of day to day operations, increasing risk. Like F1 drivers, the analysis that goes into keeping drivers alive and safe is amazing as full well the owners know an event is that much more likely than for ordinary road users.

Comment

You've left yourself wide open for ridicule and ignorance of aviation control systems.

Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Working...
                    X