• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renting in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tim123
    Is it really the done thing to make offers on rents?
    Unless you are getting a good deal then yes. Especially these days where it is renters market due to all the empty buy to lets

Comment

Originally posted by cswd
      Hey at least you got a table - we got free rats!
      Is it usual to charge for them? I guess it's a square meal for some.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise
        Unless you are getting a good deal then yes. Especially these days where it is renters market due to all the empty buy to lets
        Who says it's a renter's market? It's certainly not anywhere within walking distance to the City. I noticed a distinct spike in enquiries after the bombs last year, from foreign City workers who did't want to use the tube. Maybe that's why.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
          Who says it's a renter's market? It's certainly not anywhere within walking distance to the City. I noticed a distinct spike in enquiries after the bombs last year, from foreign City workers who did't want to use the tube. Maybe that's why.
          Quite. I've read that we need to build 50K new houses a year just to keep up with the demand due to immigration.

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
            Quite. I've read that we need to build 50K new houses a year just to keep up with the demand due to immigration.
            When I say foreign City workers, I don't mean immigrants. These are the global elite highflyer, MBA types who are seconded to work in multiple countries over their career. As the City is a world hub of finance, there will be a constant circulation of these types in and out. And hence a constant demand for good quality properties in the vicinity.

PS Actually I'm beginning to think it's a good idea to do short-term lets - its much more lucrative if you can keep the occupancy going.
            Last edited by sasguru; 30 March 2006, 17:51.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
              PS Actually I'm beginning to think it's a good idea to do short-term lets - its much more lucrative if you can keep the occupancy going.
              I let a house in reading for a year to a relocation agency. They paid about 20% over the odds and used it for short term accomdation for those they were relocating. Was probably better for me than constantly finding short term tenants at a premium.

Comment

Renters market my @rse

I have a little sh1tpit in Bethnal Green, and I am inundated by calls from agents asking me if I want to let it out.

With asking price for a 1 bed in the area circa 190K, its not hard to see why.

Inside zone 2 it will always be a letters market, you can let any POS becuase of the demand
                There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

It might be buoyant in the center but 20 miles out it is not.

I went for a job three weeks ago the other side of London to where I live.

I got a list from Rightmove of available property. I asked in the agencies what the market was like and the answer was "manic".

Four weeks on and only one of the 8 flats available has been let and there are no new ones. If that's manic I'd like to know what adjective they use when it really is busy. (yes I understand that they need to talk the market up but exaggerating greatly can't be helpful, especially when I'm likely to find out)

tim

Comment

Working...
                  X