• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renting in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting in London

Last week me and wifey made an offer on a rental place in SW London, 10% below asking as seems to be standard these days, and it was accepted.

Went to meet the landlady tonight and it quickly became apparent that this furnished flat was in fact going to remain furnished with not just the furniture but all manner of tulipe, expensive (and aweful) artwork on the walls, various religous icons, tacky lamps, every appliance known to man, crockery, cutlery, the whole lot.

When we explained that we wanted to rent the flat and furniture but not a whole house full of tat, she demanded money for storage etc. and seemed surprised that we were going to walk away.

Then she helpfully explained that once she subtracted agents fees and storage costs there was no way she'd cover her mortgage and therefore an increase in rent was justified

Italiana?

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
      Italiana?
      Philipino I think.
      Also wanted us to pay out the remainder of her Sky contract.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeGregan
        Philipino I think.
        Also wanted us to pay out the remainder of her Sky contract.
        Now that is taking the proverbial P!

Comment

Is it really the done thing to make offers on rents?

I've always assumed that the quoted amount was on a take it or leave it basis.

(and if it's too much you walk away, the landlord is just going to look to make up the difference at first renewall if you negotiate them down)

tim

Comment

That's pretty normal here I would have thought - if you don't want the extra furniture then she's gotta find somewhere to put it, could well cost her - if you're getting 10% below what she's asking wtf are you whinging about anyway?

If I'd been renting a place from me and you'd come to me with that attitude I'd have told you where to go.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
              That's pretty normal here I would have thought - if you don't want the extra furniture then she's gotta find somewhere to put it, could well cost her - if you're getting 10% below what she's asking wtf are you whinging about anyway?

If I'd been renting a place from me and you'd come to me with that attitude I'd have told you where to go.
              Obviously there are 2 kinds of furnished properties: those that are set up as lettings, with appropriate furnishing; and those that are somebody's house, which is going to be unoccupied for a while and so rented out to cover the costs meanwhile.

Sounds like this was the second case. OTOH if you go for the first kind, it probably costs you more to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                Sounds like this was the second case. OTOH if you go for the first kind, it probably costs you more to start with.
                But at least you get to choose the stuff you want. Not as bad as this, but my last flat had a huge round table in the middle of the living room that I really didn't want and other "fancy" stuff I could have done without, but was stuck with for years. The house I'm renting now is somebody's buy to let investment and has the minimum basic furniture, and it's much better this way.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeGregan
                  Last week me and wifey made an offer on a rental place in SW London, 10% below asking as seems to be standard these days, and it was accepted.

Went to meet the landlady tonight and it quickly became apparent that this furnished flat was in fact going to remain furnished with not just the furniture but all manner of tulipe, expensive (and aweful) artwork on the walls, various religous icons, tacky lamps, every appliance known to man, crockery, cutlery, the whole lot.

When we explained that we wanted to rent the flat and furniture but not a whole house full of tat, she demanded money for storage etc. and seemed surprised that we were going to walk away.

Then she helpfully explained that once she subtracted agents fees and storage costs there was no way she'd cover her mortgage and therefore an increase in rent was justified
                  Where in SW London? and how much if you don't me asking? What sort of flat/house - Victorian, new build, how many bedrooms?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                    Where in SW London? and how much if you don't me asking? What sort of flat/house - Victorian, new build, how many bedrooms?
                    One bedroom, Victorian conversion with a small backyard, £900 pcm near Barnes.

Snaw I know some furnished places come with crockery etc. but this place had so much tulipe in it you could barely move, let alone bring anything else in of your own and she had previously agreed to move stuff out.

A few years ago there would've been a queue of people to rent it but she couldn't accept it was a renters market now and noone could care less about her mortgage.

Comment

Working...
                    X