• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In hot water

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the same Nanny state that stopped us using asbestos to build houses and banned arsenic and lead in paint? I think it's quite a good idea and I can't see why anyone would want to reserve the right to scald their kids or elderley relatives.

It does smack a bit of looking around desperately for some legislation to propose to make a name for yourself though.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

As long as the Environment Secretary, the Gorgeous Margaret Becket, joins me in the bath of whatever temperature, I would be happy.

Seriously, this is such nonsensical never happen bulltulip, it is not worth worrying about. I could easily circumvent such a device as I imagine could most of you. Are they really going to send somebody around at random intervals to check it?

This just illustrates the lamentably low intelligence of labour MPs.

PS OH I SEE! It is to avoid injury to children!!! Where's the fun in that? Thought you meant to save energy. Same comment really. It is an Englishman's right to boil his children.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 29 March 2006, 19:26.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I think you'll find it is law already

to have a thermostat to regulate the hot water temperature on your tank or multi-point boiler.

So now we need to introduce a law to fit a thermostat to taps, just in case some numpty sets the one on their tank too high??????

Erm, what makes Mr. tulip-For-Brains M.P. think numpty will not also set THAT thermostat too high?????

Comment

t 0 $$ er

Originally posted by Alf W
          Is this the same Nanny state that stopped us using asbestos to build houses and banned arsenic and lead in paint? I think it's quite a good idea and I can't see why anyone would want to reserve the right to scald their kids or elderley relatives.

It does smack a bit of looking around desperately for some legislation to propose to make a name for yourself though.
          t 0 $$ er

Comment

But...But...But

I like hot baths !

So hot that your eyes water when you get in them and your b0ll0cks abandon ship over the side of the bath and scuttle for safety behind the loo-brush holder.

Surely it's my personal right to have the hot water at the temperature I desire ?

Otherwise, I'll just boil some hotter water on the hob and chuck it in using a saucepan.

And we don't have kids anyway, so what's the problem ?

Oh.....hang on....suppose a burglar breaks in while we are on holiday and runs himself a bath, which is too hot, then sues us ?

Or perhaps he makes himself a snack from the fridge, using the packet of ham we forgot to throw away before leaving for two weeks, and gets food poisoning and sues us ?

Or, on finding that we don't have a mega-blaster 60" Plasma TV with all the trimmings, decides to sue us for "Chattels that, once sold, do not renumerate enough to support his crack-cocaine habit".

I called myself a white barsteward today, so I am going to sue myself for racism......the world's gone mad.........
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by bfg
              to have a thermostat to regulate the hot water temperature on your tank or multi-point boiler.

So now we need to introduce a law to fit a thermostat to taps, just in case some numpty sets the one on their tank too high??????
              The WHO recommends that the tank thermostat should be set at 60C to prevent the growth of legionnaire's disease. There is accordingly a proposal to have new water heaters set to a fixed 60 degrees, so it's not a case of "just in case some numpty sets the one on their tank too high". If it is adjustable then they should set it to 60.

But scalding of children is a serious and all-too-frequent problem, especially with the higher hot-water temperatures. In real life it's not just a case of a stupid mother lowering a toddler into water without checking first. Hence the proposal to have an anti-scald protection on the delivery system (i.e. the tap).

As usual it's easy to shout condemnation before knowing or thinking about it, not so easy afterwards.
              Last edited by expat; 30 March 2006, 08:05.

Comment

[QUOTE=Board Game Geek]I like hot baths !

So hot that your eyes water when you get in them and your b0ll0cks abandon ship over the side of the bath and scuttle for safety behind the loo-brush holder.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W
                  I think it's quite a good idea and I can't see why anyone would want to reserve the right to scald their kids or elderley relatives.
                  Lets say it costs £200 per household, x 20M houses, so £4 billion. How many hospitals or schools would that build and run?

Anyone who wants to scald their kids could still do so by using the kettle.

Comment

Working...
                  X