• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A tale of endurance, grit and pig ignorant motorists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Yep, it will be best efforts on the day. I should be 4 weeks further ahead with my training but got sick. That's life. All I can do is give it a bloody good go.

Pissing rain and hurricane winds did not help the average speed or moral so hopefully we will have cold but overcast with the occasional hazy sunshine for the day, opening out into 80 degree basking sunshine when I get to Brighton beach.
    Just don't stop for to long as your legs seize. Saying that though you could go for 8 hours and keep stopping for beers.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I would say with the right attitude and approach just about any reasonably healthy person could do London to Brighton after a few practice runs. I made it to Paris without ever having to get off and walk and that has loads of big hills en route. Can't say the same when cycling around Surrey hills though, pick the right route there and it is torture on the climbs.

Comment

Now that is class mate. Top work.

Getting me one of those babies.

640x480 up to 16Gb, anyone know what running time that would give?
        Depends on video format and compression but around 5Mb per minute wouldn't be far off. These type of devices usually just carry on recording overwriting the earlier recorded video until switched off.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Soft lad.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

People who take an overgrown child's toy onto public highways shouldn't expect proper road users to make allowances for them. If I fly round a corner and some muppet on a bike scratches my car then I'm going to sue.
            Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

I have always found cyclists a friendly bunch! especially the overweight middle aged men dressed in kinky black lycra types (blacks always a good colour for cyclists right?) because even when you drive past them really closely and at speed they are always keen to wave and shout hello!....at least I think thats what they are shouting?
              Tyrell: "More human than human" is our motto.

Comment

As a side note, I thought driving away from the scene of an accicdent was a crime possibly punishable with a custodial sentence? Just saying like.
                I have no doubt it is. However, the difficult part for your brief would be to adequately prove that you tuliping yourself and jumping over a hedge, damaging your bike in the progress, left the female car driver in any realistic position of culpability for said damage. Or that indeed any form of RTA actually took place that was not solely down to your innate woosiness!!

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

We set out at 3pm in the pissing rain

The rain was proper wet rain by now. Trackies soaked, tracky top soaked

I have learned that Doodab aint kidding about chaffing. 30.5 miles covered. Chilled to the marrow, bleeding shins, achy knees. Hips hurt. Feel like crap.

Please remind me again why people cycle?
                  If you go out in the rain without waterproofs you are going to get cold an wet, what did you expect?

There is a reason you see cyclists in lycra shorts and shirts and those day glo jackets. They are actually warmer. If it's bad then get a pair of full length tights or bib tights and wear a water proof jacket.

You will be warmer as the lycra gear actually lets the water drain off rather than soaking into the material, adding weight and sucking the heat out of you. It also stops the chaffing as it doesnt rub against your skin.

Get some overshoes as well to keep your feet warm and a skull cap to go under the helmet.

Wiggles budget brand dhb has all the stuff you need and wont break the bank.

Jackets

Shorts

Tights and Trousers

Headgear

Baselayer and Thermals

Overshoes

On a ride like that when you know it is going to be cold and wet then it's a good idea to take an energy bar with you as well and eat that as you go, not just water. 30 miles is about as far as you can expect to go without taking on additional carbs to keep you going. If you try and do the LtB on just water you will bonk well before the finish.
                  Last edited by DaveB; 13 June 2011, 08:49.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    If you go out in the rain without waterproofs you are going to get cold an wet, what did you expect?

There is a reason you see cyclists in lycra shorts and shirts and those day glo jackets. They are actually warmer. If it's bad then get a pair of full length tights or bib tights and wear a water proof jacket.

You will be warmer as the lycra gear actually lets the water drain off rather than soaking into the material, adding weight and sucking the heat out of you. It also stops the chaffing as it doesnt rub against your skin.

Get some overshoes as well to keep your feet warm and a skull cap to go under the helmet.

Wiggles budget brand dhb has all the stuff you need and wont break the bank.

Jackets

Shorts

Tights and Trousers

Headgear

Baselayer and Thermals

Overshoes

On a ride like that when you know it is going to be cold and wet then it's a good idea to take an energy bar with you as well and eat that as you go, not just water. 30 miles is about as far as you can expect to go without taking on additional carbs to keep you going. If you try and do the LtB on just water you will bonk well before the finish.
                    We had an energy bar at every stop. (10 miles). I had one bottle with lucozade and one with water. No chances of the bonk this time, although the last time we were ill prepared.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

No mate, was picking myself up from a hedge row. Will carry a little notepad and pen in my pocket in future. Good point though.
                      Both of which would have been soaked, no?
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X