• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Graphics cards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats your current PSU? anything around 500 should be more than enough.. then again.. a good PSU will not go waste, you can always carry it forward to you new PC.. the ones i really like are seasonic gold standard ones.
    I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Originally posted by tranceporter View Post
      whats your current PSU? anything around 500 should be more than enough.. then again.. a good PSU will not go waste, you can always carry it forward to you new PC.. the ones i really like are seasonic gold standard ones.
      Nah get a 1000 watt one, and a massive cpu cooler then you can use it as air conditioning
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by tranceporter View Post
        It's a 550W but it's already supporting 6 hard drives, which will suck close to 200W when starting up + there is a RAID adapter in there that uses 25-30W, so anything over about 75W for the graphics card is going to need a new PSU. Plus I'm only at home for a couple of days so I want to take the old one out and put the new one in, not spend a lot of time faffing about with cables.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Look carefully before buying a modern graphics card for an older PC. Many of the newer cards will need one or two suplimentary power plugs on to the card as the card slot can't deliver enough juice. It is very common now to need a new power supply to give the right plugs availability when you upgrade the graphics card. I did this recently to my son's PC, bought a new ATI graphics card and a 750 watt PSU to go with it. Also, be aware that many cards now take up the space of two slots in the PC case, make sure your PC case will accomodate the new card space wise.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Good points but that's not unique to new cards, top-end ones have been that way for years. Manufacturers make low-power slimline versions too, it is a bit tricky though buying online.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

On German TV at the moment they're showing tips on computer bits going wrong and one was a graphics card:

- open your oven
              - make 4 little balls of aluminuim foil and place on baking tray
              - place graphics card on little balls
              - shut oven door
              - cook for 10 minutes at 110

And it worked. The video is probably here somewhere
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                On German TV at the moment they're showing tips on computer bits going wrong and one was a graphics card:

- open your oven
                - make 4 little balls of aluminuim foil and place on baking tray
                - place graphics card on little balls
                - shut oven door
                - cook for 10 minutes at 110

And it worked. The video is probably here somewhere
                I might give that a go if I get a chance. But I'm going to buy a replacement anyway so that it's waiting for me when I get in on Friday.

Just ordered one of these:

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R5670-PMD1G-OC.html
                Last edited by doodab; 8 June 2011, 19:55.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                X