• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bummer - went to the Apple shop after lunch ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Spot the poor boy who can't afford the best quality hardware.
    Chortle - A few months ago I bought an Alienware M17X , with all top-spec parts, for over £3K. So put that in your pipe and smoke it, cowboy!

(Must admit I had a fair bit of trouble with it, when one of the disks went AWOL. But Dell sent someone round to replace the disk.)
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      (Must admit I had a fair bit of trouble with it, when one of the disks went AWOL. But Dell sent someone round to replace the disk.)
      That was sasguru.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        That was sasguru.

HTH
        Sasguru is Dell boy?
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Sasguru is a Dull boy
          FTFY

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
            It cost £1500, which even for Apple can't be a cheapie can it ?
            Macbooks start at £867, you'd struggle to spec that up to £1500 unless you went for all the optional software as well. A fully specced Macbook will still only set you back a shade over £1000.

Pro's start at £999 and you can easily spec it well beyond £1500.

All depends on how old it was. A few years old and yes, you could have spent £1500 on a standard Macbook but they cut the range right back and now it's the budget Mac laptop and Pro's are the premium models with all the optional extras.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              In contrast I bought my first Apple because I'd got sick of Windows, and Linux was still having difficulties with laptop support.

I was definitely impressed with the way that performance got better with each release of OS X - a direct contrast to bloatware stories elsewhere.

And OS X gave me a chance to learn Unix at my own pace. I also found that I didn't need to keep buying extra software to do stuff. When I was using Windows at home, there always seemed to be something extra I needed to buy.
              WHS - This is about the same way I fell into using OS X, the hardware was not really all that much an interest to me at the time.

Productivity using OS X for day to day tasks is considerably noticeable
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Why would you buy an ultra-thin netbook for video editing or DVD ripping?
                Which was my point...
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                X