• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bummer - went to the Apple shop after lunch ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are nice shiny things. You might find it underpowered for anything above surfing and typing though.

Prefer it to a bottle whisky for sure.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      You might find it underpowered for anything above surfing and typing though.
      Probably not:
      I went with the 1.6GHz / 4GB RAM/ 128GB SSD spec. Its performance is excellent (and will likely feel noticeably faster than any hard-drive based Mac you own), and the benefits of its size, weight and overall portability can’t be overstated. You can comfortably go with the 11-inch model and not feel you’ve compromised on performance; that’s the reality. Due to the SSD, the other specifications take on somewhat reduced significance in most situations – the machine just feels fast...
      • Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint 2011 each launch in 1 second.
      • Pages, Numbers and Keynote 09 each launch in 1 second.
      • Xcode 3.2.5 (a noticeably slow starter in general) launches in just under 2 seconds.
      • Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended launches in just under 3 seconds.

Safari etc launch so quickly as to make it almost impossible to notice whether they were already running. The machine boots in under 16 seconds, and shuts down completely within 2 seconds.

World of Warcraft starts noticeably faster than on my (3.06GHz Core 2 Duo / 4GB) iMac, though of course the framerate is lower. In Stormwind’s Trade District outside, it runs at a reliable 25-35 fps (or up to 70 fps in less populous areas), and is eminently playable.

Comment

Agree it's a blisteringly good little piece of kit - but watch for the latest spec release - if it hasn't already happened it's imminent, and if they release the new one within a few weeks* (IIRC) you can swap yours. Worth it too as it's a sandybridge* upgrade.

*excuse any and all typos or inaccuracies, I'm too tired to foogle.

zzz

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
          Agree it's a blisteringly good little piece of kit - but watch for the latest spec release - if it hasn't already happened it's imminent, and if they release the new one within a few weeks* (IIRC) you can swap yours. Worth it too as it's a sandybridge* upgrade.
          So, in conclusion - non-technical permie manager gets sucked in by marketing and buys overpriced kit that will be replaced by much better generation in a few weeks.

Exactly what you'd expect from sasguru.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            So, in conclusion - non-technical permie manager gets sucked in by marketing and buys overpriced kit that will be replaced by much better generation in a few weeks.

Exactly what you'd expect from sasguru.
            Well as a proposition it beats virginal business failure finally has an orgasm when the most exciting event to happen in his dull and miserable life finally occurs - his overpriced tatty DFS sofa arrives.

Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              I defy you to tell the difference between that and a £20 bottle of Sainsbury's single malt (*).

(*) one of those fancy bottles they sell in an ornate box
              I could tell the difference very easily.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                I could tell the difference very easily.
                Yes, but I think OH meant without referring to the receipts!

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Probably not:

The machine boots in under 16 seconds, and shuts down completely within 2 seconds.

World of Warcraft starts noticeably faster than on my (3.06GHz Core 2 Duo / 4GB) iMac, though of course the framerate is lower. In Stormwind’s Trade District outside, it runs at a reliable 25-35 fps (or up to 70 fps in less populous areas), and is eminently playable.
                  [/I][/INDENT]
                  So it boots up and shuts down no faster than my INKSPE PC laptop then!
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                    So it boots up and shuts down no faster than my INKSPE PC laptop then!
                    Well, it's PC hardware with fancy looking BSD OS on it...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      Well, it's PC hardware with fancy looking BSD OS on it...
                      And still better value that your tatty sofa ...
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X