• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bummer - went to the Apple shop after lunch ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post

Job as SteveOs rimmer.
    what - really?
    Whats the numpty from Jackass got to do with it?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      WHS. This ThomasStupidson chappie is not the sharpest tool in the box.
      He's spent more on a desktop replacement that is larger, fatter and has less battery power. Doh!
      But maybe he's a bit weedy and likes lugging around large laptops that run out of power after an hour as a gym alternative.

I agree, in fact these days with faster broadband we should all be using dumb terminals that remote desktop onto huge cloud computing power servers multi-core farms.

He can always get one of these.

Comment

It horses for courses really.

If you want to waste £900 on a shiny thing to give your empty life meaning, albeit only transitory, and impress your equally shallow friends then I'd agree the macbook air is in a class of it's own. If what you want or need is a mobile workstation that is still reasonably portable then Thinkpads are a better bet.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          I used to hate Apple because the Mac users were so smug and always dissed Windows. That changed when they released IPhone. IPhone is a neat invention and it forced all the mobile phone providers to up the game.
          In contrast I bought my first Apple because I'd got sick of Windows, and Linux was still having difficulties with laptop support.

I was definitely impressed with the way that performance got better with each release of OS X - a direct contrast to bloatware stories elsewhere.

And OS X gave me a chance to learn Unix at my own pace. I also found that I didn't need to keep buying extra software to do stuff. When I was using Windows at home, there always seemed to be something extra I needed to buy.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            If you want to waste £900 on a shiny thing.
            Yawn, you sound like my dad talking about "video games". Your flat-screen TV is a waste, so are clothes costing more than £20, blah blah blah.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              It horses for courses really.

If you want to waste £900 on a shiny thing to give your empty life meaning, albeit only transitory, and impress your equally shallow friends then I'd agree the macbook air is in a class of it's own. If what you want or need is a mobile workstation that is still reasonably portable then Thinkpads are a better bet.
              This from the man who is skint because by his own admission he spent his contract earnings on fripperies. I guess you must be an expert on shallowness and penury.
              I ,on the other hand, have no experience with either, the MacAir suiting my purposes exactly in both form and function and being eminently affordable to me.

HTH
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Yawn, you sound like my dad talking about "video games". Your flat-screen TV is a waste, so are clothes costing more than £20, blah blah blah.
                Have I hit a nerve?
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  This from the man who is skint because by his own admission he spent his contract earnings on fripperies. I guess you must be an expert on shallowness and penury.
                  Er not exactly, I'm slightly indebted due to a combination of factors of which a taste for the finer things in life is just one, but I always sought quality and value in my spendthriftery and very little of it was frivolous.

To my mind £900 seems a lot for what is on offer, which coming from the owner of a £40 potato masher* ought to serve as quite a damning indictment. The iPad seems a much more sensible device, particularly as it offers built in 3G.

* I would like to point out it's the finest potato masher available at any price.
                  Last edited by doodab; 27 May 2011, 16:16.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    If it was white it wasn't a pro unless it was very old.

Pro's are all aluminium unibodies now. White plastic is for standard Macbooks only.
                    It cost £1500, which even for Apple can't be a cheapie can it ?
                    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      I doubt it was really better specced. It rather depends what things you include in the spec... if you measure cars only on top speed, 0-60 and BHP then you get the same comparisons made.
                      I got a 2nd gen Quad core I7 with 8gig of ram and a 2 gig dedicated graphics card, and a 6 hour battery life for £600, show me a similarly priced Mac laptop that can beat that!
                      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Working...
                      X