• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mac virus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Some; it's a technique known as SEO poisoning, whereby you cause a domain to rank highly for some popular search terms and, once the Googlejuice is flowing your way, set it to redirect to the server with the evil crap. (You don't redirect when the Googlebot comes calling, obviously...)

EDIT: and, as explained in that Microsoft post I linked to up there, it's the server you're redirected to that detects whether you're on Windows or Mac and serves up the appropriate crap accordingly.
    I just got hit by another via Google Images, so it's time to block them.

This time it was a product called MacKeeper, which looks extremely dodgy. Dodgy looking Russian(ish) names too. There are reports on their forum (url scrubbed)* that's it's hard to uninstall as well.

Most disturbingly it greyed out nearly all Safari's menu options, but Quit was still there, and that's what I used.

*url scrubbed because clicking on links to reviews on that site initiate a download.

P.S. There's a glowing write up of it at applenerd.net, but I have to assume that's fake as well. Ooh yes it is - the Facebook bit on the RHS is just an image that does nowt.

P.P.S. It's time Google got their act together on this one.
    Last edited by Sysman; 22 May 2011, 13:08.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
    X