• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mileage rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have asked the agen to check my contract. It's just that they are almost implying that I'me being greedy. I thought it was normal to book mileage when travelling to another site.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
      Does your car insurance cover you for business travel?

If you're asked to carry a passenger that opens a whole can of worms...
      That's exactly right. Tell them that your insurance doesn't cover you for this (which it probably won't).

The problem is then back in their court.

tim

Comment

I am covered for business travel. Don't know about carrying passengers though..

Comment

You are almost certainly not covered for "carrying passengers for hire or reward", and since you really ought to charge mileage for the journey, that is what you will be doing.

You have a few choices here - do it as a favour and don't charge anyone, do it and risk being uninsured if you have a nasty, tell the client to move their own staff around the country, or hire a car specifically for the trip and let their insurance worry about it.

It all comes back to the old chesnut - you run your business, the client runs theirs, and you never confuse the two.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

In addition to the business insurance bit. If you start charging them (the client) for it as well won't you need even greater insurance, i.e. private hire?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
              You are almost certainly not covered for "carrying passengers for hire or reward", and since you really ought to charge mileage for the journey, that is what you will be doing.
              Is it for reward as the extra money is only repaying you for the expense you've incurred? However if you're charging the client for the time spent driving to the other site, then that is for reward.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I know it's all down to the terms of the actual contract but the reason for the post actually was more to determine whether it's normal to expect a contractor's rate to include mileage to travel to a customer or whether the mileage would normally be paid over and above their daily rate....

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
                  Is it for reward as the extra money is only repaying you for the expense you've incurred? However if you're charging the client for the time spent driving to the other site, then that is for reward.

I'm paid a daily rate....

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre
                    I know it's all down to the terms of the actual contract but the reason for the post actually was more to determine whether it's normal to expect a contractor's rate to include mileage to travel to a customer or whether the mileage would normally be paid over and above their daily rate....
                    FWIW, IMHO and IANAL. This is not normal travel. You are being asked to travel from your normal place of work to another (ignore the passenger bit as an aside). Your normal rate will cover the hours (you are charging for the time arent you?) but not your expenses.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

does she have big t1ts ?

if so, take her, if not tell her to get the bus

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X