• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mileage rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would normally charge the client for travel to anywhere other than the usual site.

HTH.

Comment

If they are suggesting that you are being greedy, ask them if they would happily add 44 miles per day * 5 days per week to their car, plus the cost of petrol, at their own expense, or would they look for expenses. The other option is to both get the bus.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

- It should be chargeable. I would expect to charge it as it is additional.

- Check your insurance very carefully. Malvolio pointed out the hire and reward angle. Most policies now allow carrying of passengers who pay compensation. But it is only generally covered under the SDP and regular commuting section.

- Another insurance angle to check is that you have the right sort of business cover. Most will cover travel to one client site under the normal SDP. i.e. not require class 3 business. Some will allow travel between different client sites on class 3 business, some require class 2.

It is not being picky doing this. If you get it wrong and something nasty happens you are paying for it for the rest of your liefe.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm only seeking about 25p per mile which is the IR approved rate. I'm not seeking any extra reward for carrying the passenger but I have made the point that I'm saving them his travel cost and time as he would otherwise have to go by public transport...

...also. there have been occasions when I could have gone straight nome from the customer but have had to travel back to base to drop the passenger off

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
            I would normally charge the client for travel to anywhere other than the usual site.

HTH.
            So would I. Always. And at 40p per mile, regardless of whether I've gone over the 10k limit. You can only claim 40p per mile up to the first 10k, after that it drops to 25p.
            Hiram you are thinking like a permie. Start thinking like a business, would any of their other suppliers drive their staff around for free?
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre
              Thanks guys. I'm only seeking about 25p per mile which is the IR approved rate. I'm not seeking any extra reward for carrying the passenger but I have made the point that I'm saving them his travel cost and time as he would otherwise have to go by public transport...

...also. there have been occasions when I could have gone straight nome from the customer but have had to travel back to base to drop the passenger off
              Well, if you give them something for nothing, they'll propbably accept it. If you then suggest no longer making that gift, they'll probably call you unhelpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre

You may have only requested info about the mileage rate. However some eagle-eyed guys noticed a much bigger issue.

The issue that you probably aren't insured to carry a member of another companies staff in your car under your business insurance.

Phone your insurers and explain the situation pretty damn quickly. If you have a crash and you haven't explictly checked that what you are doing is covered they will not pay, and if anyone is hurt or other property damaged you'll be looking at visit to the local judge and whatever he decides to do to you.

We are not talking here about some opt-in opt-out, umbrella LTD, dividends PAYE moral argument here we are talking about something pretty damn serious that could really screw you, your passenger and anyone travelling the opposite way from you that gets hit in an accident. Act responsibly and check that you are covered.

Otherwise tell us the route so we can avoid it, cos if I'm going to be maimed in a crash I at least want to know that the other parties insurance company will pay for my ongoing treatment. In your case they might just not!!!

Comment

I can't see that you're not insured. If using the car for business means it's for hire or reward, then having business use on your policy is meaningless if it also excludes hire or reward because even a permie is rewarded for making the trip.

And if you are insured, unless it says otherwise I can't see that who or what you carry in your car makes any difference.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
                    I can't see that you're not insured. If using the car for business means it's for hire or reward, then having business use on your policy is meaningless if it also excludes hire or reward because even a permie is rewarded for making the trip.

And if you are insured, unless it says otherwise I can't see that who or what you carry in your car makes any difference.
                    Business use could have at least 3 levels:
                    1 your journey to work
                    2 your use during work
                    3 use for carrying others in connection with work
                    and that's before you get to being paid to carry passengers.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan

It's an insurance policy - dreamt up by companies whose sole purpose is to try their best not to have to pay out except in a narrow band of circumstances. Of course it makes a difference.

There are a number of bandings of insurance and usually the conveyance of customers is generally excluded from most business usage cover. Since it isn't beyond the wit of man to extend this to chauffeur and taxi servicing. i.e. you pay may to read my paper and I'll drive you to work. Or you pay me to write code for you and I'll drive you to work!!!

Incidentally a lot of business insurance will cover you between your normal office and a designated place of work (which can change), but will not automatically cover you if once you arrive at your designated place you are asked to perform another journey i.e. to another site.

Unless you know the insurance industry inside out I suggest you stop treating it quite so simply. Its a minefield and they make their profits by people assuming.

Comment

Working...
                      X