• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Divorce lawyer who understands contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok - here is one for you, you get divorced, clean break, she gets 70%. Couple of years later she inherits a few hundred k.
    I take it that doesn't affect the situation due to clean break ?
    I take it that if she inherits before the split it goes in the pot ?

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
      Brilliant - turns out a 50:50 split is a dream for most as you will have to turn over much more than that to get a 'clean break'....
      Find one with more money is the only way to hedge this I fear !
      I agree that the olden days way of chucking her on the streets penniless is completely wrong but surely it's gone too far the other way now.
      Exactly, a 58 year old contractor at former client co had to hand over 100% of assets in order not to pay maintence to his ex-wife with no kids. Starting out with nothing at the age of 58 is very difficult.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        Exactly, a 58 year old contractor at former client co had to hand over 100% of assets in order not to pay maintence to his ex-wife with no kids. Starting out with nothing at the age of 58 is very difficult.
        Starting out again with nothing at any age is difficult after a messy divorce.
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          OK you pay for it on the basis of a single test case.
          The highest court in the UK found in favour of pre-nups with only a single dissenting judgement and you don't think that's definined the law?

"I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
            Starting out again with nothing at any age is difficult after a messy divorce.
            wss

Comment

swings & roundabouts

Ok - here is one for you, you get divorced, clean break, she gets 70%. Couple of years later she inherits a few hundred k.
              I take it that doesn't affect the situation due to clean break ?
              I take it that if she inherits before the split it goes in the pot ?
              Yes - but it works both ways. If you also inherit the same its yours and yours alone.

Generally yes - depends on the wording of the will.

The 70/30, or in my case 75/25, is all about levelling up the perceived inequality in earnings, potential future earnings and higher costs that one side may face in, for example, putting a roof over the kids heads until they are adults.

Comment

Yep, that will explain why all my girlfriends divorced friends are buying brand new cars and have houses that they own outright.
                It's unbelievable, quite simply she has got you by the spuds, do as you are told or you are f***ed.
                Don't tell me yours is different, they are all capable of being vicious, even if it takes a few sessions with the girls egging them on to screw you over to bring it out.

Comment

Yep, that will explain why all my girlfriends divorced friends are buying brand new cars and have houses that they own outright.
                  It's unbelievable, quite simply she has got you by the spuds, do as you are told or you are f***ed.
                  Don't tell me yours is different, they are all capable of being vicious, even if it takes a few sessions with the girls egging them on to screw you over to bring it out.
                  Erm... seeing as we are playing the "lets tar all women with the same brush" game, what about all the men (my ex husband included!) who simply can't keep their cock in their pants - who lie, cheat and steal to get exactly what they want?

There are 2 sides to every tale of divorce woe.

The man isn't always the main earner and the woman isn't always the whore.
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    Erm... seeing as we are playing the "lets tar all women with the same brush" game, what about all the men (my ex husband included!) who simply can't keep their cock in their pants - who lie, cheat and steal to get exactly what they want?

There are 2 sides to every tale of divorce woe.

The man isn't always the main earner and the woman isn't always the whore.
                    Good point. In my case it was, but when I was back dating again I met a lot of decent divorced/separated women who weren't trying to squeeze their exs and could stand on their own two feet.

I don't agree with you about being difficult starting again from nothing at any age though. 58 and you are in poo poo, but I was 32 and lost everything apart from my pension. Within 5 years I was ahead.
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                      The highest court in the UK found in favour of pre-nups with only a single dissenting judgement and you don't think that's definined the law?

Go back and read the thread we already discussed this. It was an atypical case. Where are all the other cases - surely many must have taken pre-nups and several of those got divorced since this test case?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X