• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Divorce lawyer who understands contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It's right just because you say so? So, let's say in your view ex of Paul McCartney was somehow entitled to 50% of the money he mostly earned from his work waaaaaaay before the marriage because she was married to him for a few years? Supporting child is another matter (and that may cost more than 50% of assets) but it should be reasonably capped to stop making marriage a profit making for some and life destroying for others.

This gold digging stuff isn't limited to very rich - the situation is way too one sided (especially when children are involved but I can understand that), however it's totally and utterly unreasonable to expect any side to have any claim whatsoever on money earned prior to marriage OR independently during marriage.

Joint account does not need to include 100% of assets of both sides.

Guess this will mean that my future wife will have to be a lawyer, I am sure she'd understand me
    Anyone who has to wake up next to Macca deserves a f%cking medal.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Anyone who has to wake up next to Macca deserves a f%cking medal.
      Medal - maybe, 50% of his money that he 100% earned in his time of Beatles - no.

btw I never liked him and still don't.

Comment

Medal - maybe, 50% of his money that he 100% earned in his time of Beatles - no.

btw I never liked him and still don't.
        But the medal would be made of solid Kryptonite which would cost all of his money anyway.

Comment

Forget about celebs and rich people, something like this has little impact on them due to having more cash than they can spend AND the subsequent publicity boost can generate cash in itself, how I rebuilt my life and found love again, read it in my book blah blah !
          It's your average Joe who gets turned over and women cheat just as much as men do, so forget that argument AND who are all these women giving up high-powered careers to care for their man and kids - please, this is a myth based on tiny numbers, anyone who wants to can make childcare arrangements, they usually can't wait to go part time or pack in work.
          Can men be bastards - absolutely, but with the NO BLAME basis for divorce if one party is bringing more resources to the table (regardless of gender) then they are walking a tightrope. Fact is, this tends to be the bloke and I have seen too many turned over. It's not fair end of.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
            I find the idea that contribution to a marriage is measured based on money earned horrifying.

It is a partnership. For a marriage of any proper duration it is right that assets are split 50/50, with provision for children.

I don't doubt there are a small number of 'money-grabbing' women, but I imagine that it's far more common that a mum with, say, a part time job is absolutely panicked at the idea of bringing up her kids on her own on little or no income when things go wrong.

If a woman has given up her career to raise a family, what the hell is she supposed to do if the man doesn't continue to support her?
            The decision for the woman to be the one to take the hit earning-wise is usually a shared one.
            WSS
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
              Forget about celebs and rich people, something like this has little impact on them due to having more cash than they can spend AND the subsequent publicity boost can generate cash in itself, how I rebuilt my life and found love again, read it in my book blah blah !
              It's your average Joe who gets turned over and women cheat just as much as men do, so forget that argument AND who are all these women giving up high-powered careers to care for their man and kids - please, this is a myth based on tiny numbers, anyone who wants to can make childcare arrangements, they usually can't wait to go part time or pack in work.
              Can men be bastards - absolutely, but with the NO BLAME basis for divorce if one party is bringing more resources to the table (regardless of gender) then they are walking a tightrope. Fact is, this tends to be the bloke and I have seen too many turned over. It's not fair end of.
              Marry in haste. Repent at leisure.

No one is making people get married and share their lives. So it is fair. End of.

Comment

The wisdom of the old....

Marry in haste. Repent at leisure.
                If there's one thing to instill in your (male) kids, its this gem.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojito View Post
                  If there's one thing to instill in your (male) kids, its this gem.
                  I have female kids, and will instill it the same. But with a bit of luck they'll turn out to be gay or nuns and not have to face the rancid heap of slime that passes for much of modern manhood.

Comment

I have female kids, and will instill it the same. But with a bit of luck they'll turn out to be gay or nuns and not have to face the rancid heap of slime that passes for much of modern manhood.
                    Sexist pig!!!!!

"I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

I mean FFS, what's there to argue about - many countries recognise prenups in Europs, and USA - only UK is so bloody backwards.

England - prenups are recognised in Scotland.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X