• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Divorce lawyer who understands contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Would it help if I refused to recognize Flip Flops as "shoes" but instead as the offspring of satan?
    Not really. I'm not a huge flip flop fan either mind.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Ruling made by the Supreme Court: it may have been test case but now it is precedent.

Prenup just makes sense - the worst that can happen (if you manage to get married after proposing to sign prenup) is that it won't be deemed binding, at least you've tried.
      The worst that can happen is you spend £thousands on legal fees to find out it's not binding.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        What's this got to do with earnings after the divorce? If both parties are on a similar financial footing when wed, splitting 50:50 at divorce is not unreasonable, it's all the other stuff which goes on which seems to be crazy
        My dear d000hg, you are right: it's got nothing to do with that.

But as my post is obviously implying that I'm addressing the common preconception that in preparation for the FDR, people think they can hedge investments prior to the marriage and incidentally, weigh household contribution splits/earnings to their advantage during the course of the marriage.

Nothing can be further from the matrimonial truth.

Divorce is nasty - I was one of the lucky ones - eventually, clean break and no kids. I wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy.

And Mary Poppins: you are right - it is depressingly sad.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

The worst that can happen is you spend £thousands on legal fees to find out it's not binding.
          But the good news is that 50% of that money will be hers - it's like half price litigation if there was one!

Comment

And in one sentence a fellow contractor has unlocked the matrimonial conundrum that inevitably leads one to a hopeless fiscal conclusion.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              But the good news is that 50% of that money will be hers - it's like half price litigation if there was one!
              Wasn't the Supreme Court ruling based mainly on the fact that the parties involved where both super rich foreign nationals and the guy was trying it on by using the English courts i.e. divorce tourism.

It happens in libel cases as well - the super rich try and have their cases in England because of our tulip libel laws which puts the onus on the person/organisation you say has libelled you to prove they haven't.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Wasn't the Supreme Court ruling based mainly on the fact that the parties involved where both super rich foreign nationals and the guy was trying it on by using the English courts i.e. divorce tourism.
                No.

"The Supreme Court said it agreed that in the right case such agreements can have decisive or compelling weight."

Source: BBC News - Supreme Court rules in favour of pre-nuptial agreement

That does not (yet) mean that prenup is everything, however it should make job of a gold digger that much harder.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                  And in one sentence a fellow contractor has unlocked the matrimonial conundrum that inevitably leads one to a hopeless fiscal conclusion.
                  I wouldn't go setting much store by doofus's ramblings on the institution of Marriage. He got married in County Durham. Up there the wife comes with a dowry. Top notch totty up that neck of the woods come with a dozen sheep, a brace of whippets, a slack handful of racing pigeons, a box of fresh bloaters, and their own spear and jackson shovel.
                  Way ay..........Canny man!!

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post

I've been asked to do a reading at my friend's wedding next year. I've made a note of that.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

"Marriage is a game of two in which both lose." (c) Martti Larni

"Divorce is a game of two in which woman wins" (c) me

Comment

Working...
                      X