• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giving client a 'gift' when leaving the contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    Yes.

Are all people named Russell as ignorant as you?
    Ignorant LOL, like a Creationist accusing Dawkins of being ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      I've never done this myself (I'm probably not capable) but always thought about those technical experts that have somehow managed to sneak code into clients' systems to pull off some elaborate scam.

Have you ever left clients with a 'gift' that will be discovered at some point in the not too distant future? Perhaps a code-bomb, or removing source code from the repository, or something that makes them think "damn we need this guy!" ?

(I'm not feeling creative today so can't think of any more...).
      I believe a piece of cod left behind a radiator is the standard "gift".
      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

I've never done this myself (I'm probably not capable) but always thought about those technical experts that have somehow managed to sneak code into clients' systems to pull off some elaborate scam.

Have you ever left clients with a 'gift' that will be discovered at some point in the not too distant future? Perhaps a code-bomb, or removing source code from the repository, or something that makes them think "damn we need this guy!" ?

I left a little back door into the agents' Dutch Antillean Black- and Grey-lists of that counts. Other than that, I just leave a little present in the toilet on my last day.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          I left a little back door into the agents' Dutch Antillean Black- and Grey-lists of that counts. Other than that, I just leave a little present in the toilet on my last day.
          I'm sure you are just talking about a "potential support connection" that is required for you to continue support if requested by the esteemed client co.

Comment

You could do one or more of the following:

Upload the entire code to a public SVN repository.
            Put in some code that gives you back-door access to their network so that you can perform some anonymous Denial of Service Attack.
            Set some code to change your screensaver to different pictures of Pammy Anderson on an hourly / daily basis.
            Put a screensaver that says "I was on Contractoruk.com all day long" (Or you could put that into some form of code if you want!).
            Leave a smelly unwashed pants / socks behind a hot radiator.
            Leave a condom on a hot lady's desk, and tell her that you will meet her tonigh.

Will that do?
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
              Upload the entire code to a public SVN repository.
              I'm sure that would do less damage than most clients assume it would.

"First, you must sign this NDA. For if the 25 lines of SQL that generate our This Month's Top Performing Biscuit Salesmen Report fell into the wrong hands, Jacobs' Biscuits' competitive edge would be lost forever!"

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                I'm sure that would do less damage than most clients assume it would.

"First, you must sign this NDA. For if the 25 lines of SQL that generate our This Month's Top Performing Biscuit Salesmen Report fell into the wrong hands, Jacobs' Biscuits' competitive edge would be lost forever!"
                Until they realise that the real code that was uploaded was for a new product launch that they spent £5 million on which could generate £200 million in revenue. (Ok, made up figures, I think you know what I mean).
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Well obviously, for a software company that made money out of its software, that would be a risk. What I mean is that most companies have security policies to keep their data a secret - which is fair enough - and also apply them to their in-house software code, which probably isn't worth a hill of beans to anybody but themselves.

Even so, the source code for Windows got leaked to the internet a few years ago, and I'd be surprised if Microsoft lost a penny over it.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    What?

And change the habits of a lifetime?
                    WZGS

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                      Yes.

Are all people named Russell as ignorant as you?
                      People named Russell typically have a moustache and blow-dried hair.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X