• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vote no for AV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Please tell us why you think PR would be better for this country. I need a good laugh.
    Well for one thing it would ensure that any contentious policy would need the broad support of all major parties before being implemented. Whilst this might take longer to achieve, there would be much less likelihood of it being reversed/neutralised as routinely happens with the current system when we swing between left and right every few years.
    Moreover, if we realistically want to portray ourselves as a truly Democratic state, we really need to remove the blatantly unrepresentative system we currently pretend is in any way shape or form, fair.
    Defining what is "better for the country" is not really an issue in this. Both Mussolini and Hitler were demonstrably "better for the country" than what preceded them, but that is not a convincing argument for Fascist Dictatorships.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Sas we are all very interested in what you have to say. I think we'd all appreciate it if you devote your CUK posting time to write detailed responses to each of those points until you're ready to post them.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

A vote FOR AV is a vote to give the Liberal Democrats a permanent seat around the cabinet table

I have just voted NO
        "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
          A vote FOR AV is a vote to give the Liberal Democrats a permanent seat
          What's the problem if they have a couple of seats? Current situation is disproportional because they held everyone to ransom so got far more than they should have achieved.

Comment

A vote FOR AV is a vote to give the Liberal Democrats a permanent seat around the cabinet table
            That would be the same Liberal Democrats that polled 23% of the national vote at the last General Election would it?
            And it is unfair for them to have any real voice why exactly?

I have just voted NO
            Well done. Did you manage that on your own or did Mummy tell you how to vote?
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              No argument with that principle, however your reasoning seems to be to pick a voting system based on the outcome you want it to achieve. Which is bad in the field of politics just as much as it is in science.
              But that's just what the Liberals are doing
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                What's the problem if they have a couple of seats? Current situation is disproportional because they held everyone to ransom so got far more than they should have achieved.
                Because NO ONE gets what they voted for, manifesto's become a waste of time as each party can claim that they had to compromise.
                "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  That would be the same Liberal Democrats that polled 23% of the national vote at the last General Election would it?
                  And it is unfair for them to have any real voice why exactly?

Well done. Did you manage that on your own or did Mummy tell you how to vote?
                  Because it all ends up as a fudge, a small minority watering down a potential strong government.

No my mum died 10 years ago, but she did teach me to make my own mind up.

Comment

Oh bo11ocks. The missus has only gone and voted yes. Now I'm going to have to go out and cancel hers out

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Because NO ONE gets what they voted for, manifesto's become a waste of time as each party can claim that they had to compromise.

Manifesto's are a waste of time.

Comment

Working...
                      X