• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"We must be whiter than white" - Blair 1997

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, they never pay off the loan, the creditor writes it off (aka 'converts it to a gift at a later date'), and almost certainly claims the loss against tax.

It's only fair you see.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine
      it was strongly suggested this morning on r4 today programme by a labour peer [lord wassname] that these loans would simply be allowed to disappear off the radar and eventually be written off...
      Shirley, at that point they become a gift and must be declared?
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

i think that key here is 'disappear off the radar'

Comment

Yes, but consider: when was the gift made?

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
            No, they never pay off the loan, the creditor writes it off (aka 'converts it to a gift at a later date'), and almost certainly claims the loss against tax.

It's only fair you see.
            If the debt is written off against tax, it suggests that the taxpayer is indirectly funding the Labour party.

Comment

Yes, the major parties are funded in numerous ways from the public purse.

Comment

The Power Commission this month said every Labour donor who had given more than a million pounds had received a knighthood or a peerage.

It's only fair.

Comment

If I had a spare million just sitting there Id donate it for a knighthood! Talk about score!

Mailman

Comment

Yes.

I've heard NL are planning to combine the cash for peerages with their drive for getting government service online to allow party donors (sorry lenders) to buy them online.

View Basket:

1 x Knighthood £1,356,045 (VAT not applicable)
                    1 x Peerage £1,145,677 (VAT not applicable)

Delivery expected : am Tuesday.

Please note driver is not allowed to leave honours next door.

Comment

Working...
                    X