• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kid wasn't at school today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Good point - I've re-read!

In that case one of the parents must have had/still have a German residence permit so was present in Germany legally. Begs the question as to why that parent or both parents didn't become German citizens at the time to avoid all this mess?
    Don't know, but if she's German then the German authorities will struggle to deport her when a German court gets involved.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Right - I've re-re-read!

NAT's kid is 13, we can assume the kid in question is 13, so born in Germany BEFORE 2000, so this must have happened;

German-born children

Under transitional arrangements in the 1999 reforms (effective 1 January 2000), children who were born in Germany in 1990 or later, and would have been German had the law change been in force at the time, were entitled to be naturalised as German citizens.

1. An application for naturalisation was required by 31 December 2000.

2. The child was required to apply for retention of German citizenship by age 23 and normally show that no other foreign citizenship was held at that time.
      But still begs the question as to why the parents didn't naturalise....

refugees and stateless persons may be able to apply after 6 years residence

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Yep, but they have agreements with the EU on immigration and trade which can mean that they're forced to comply.
        What is known as the Bilateral Accord allows the Swiss to work in the EU and EU citizens to work in Switzerland (I think EFTA countries, e.g. Norway which isn't in the EU, are included), and as you point out there are other obligations which need to be complied with.

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Actually, seeing as the kid's German, the German immigration people will probably face some problems when they try to get this past a German judge.
        I was wondering about that. When I was in Holland the authorities didn't want to let the wife of a Bob stay, but there was a Dutch law saying that one spouse couldn't be denied residency if the other spouse was there legally (this Bob was there on a proper salary, company car etc).
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          I was wondering about that. When I was in Holland the authorities didn't want to let the wife of a Bob stay, but there was a Dutch law saying that one spouse couldn't be denied residency if the other spouse was there legally (this Bob was there on a proper salary, company car etc).
          The Dutch immigration people are a bunch of R Soles, as are the politicians who spew out anti-immigrant bulltulip by the bucketload. Luckily NL has a constitution that's very difficult to change, and judges, who tend to be more worldly and educated than your average Telegraaf reading six toed mouth breather.

Comment

Regeln sind Regeln
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Regeln sind Regeln
              At the operational level that's true in Deutschland, but happily they have judges, who can throw a spanner in the works of any jobsworth department.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                But if the UK decided to deport you, and you fled to a neighbouring country, who were prepared to grant residency, would the UK demand your return so they could deport you? I doubt it.
                I think various countries in Europe are bound by this Dublin II agreement. So it is entirely possible.

Not sure what the authorities in the UK would do. But if at least one parent is a citizen then the family could not be deported due to the HRA.

I feel for the girl really, she has to now live in a tulip country which she has never known and she may not speak the language. Luckily she can return to Germany any time.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                X