• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Today's monkey contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have access to JS at my current gig. That must be one of those indian agencies surely? I got called about a role in Manchester paying £150/day when other agencies were offering close to £300.

Otherwise that takes the piss for that skillset. I would rather work in the darkest corners of the UK for £300 a day than £150 in Leeds.

Comment

Monkey Contracts

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      I don't have access to JS at my current gig. That must be one of those indian agencies surely? I got called about a role in Manchester paying £150/day when other agencies were offering close to £300.

Otherwise that takes the piss for that skillset. I would rather work in the darkest corners of the UK for £300 a day than £150 in Leeds.
      I saw an advertisement for a PRINCE 2 Project Manager with a healthcare background the other day - £180pday. Taking the piss.

Comment

As said before, it's just a step that is needed to take before a plane loads of Bobs make their way over. We had it when BT shafted us all and pushed our roles to TechM. They advertised a number of the roles on JS. A guy I worked with applied to take his job that was being advertised at 140 a day and they wouldn't touch him! (down from about 350 or so)
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
          As said before, it's just a step that is needed to take before a plane loads of Bobs make their way over. We had it when BT shafted us all and pushed our roles to TechM. They advertised a number of the roles on JS. A guy I worked with applied to take his job that was being advertised at 140 a day and they wouldn't touch him! (down from about 350 or so)
          I've applied for some of those roles a few times to see if they were genuine.

I've mostly got no reply. However once one of the roles from an Indian company was advertised via a UK agency.

I had to do a test which the agent was shocked when I got a high score on*. Anyway had a telephone interview and then was declined by said company.

A week later said company contacted me by phone about another role in a different EU country. I asked them for more details via email before declining it saying the rate was tulip. They actually phoned me up 3 times as they were shocked I had declined.

I then dutifully emailed the agent and ended up having a short conversation with him. It seemed everyone his agency had put forward for the UK role was declined for some reason.

*The test was timed but Google is really your friend.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Here's a mildly weird one:

So they want a Civil Engineer who's spent yonks as a programmer.

They want a particular individual but have made the advert be more generic so it's fair recruitment practise.

I remember reading an ad on js years ago that had the skills of a particular individual i.e. stating he had to have done this, had to speak these languages fluently, have to have these qualifications.

A year later I ended up working with that contractor.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Just found another one that will please everyone in the North West.

C# & ASP.NET Developers - Manchester - Contract Manchester, Lancashire Contract IT Job

To apply you must have good commercial experience in Developing Web application in C#, ASP.NET & SQL Server skills in HTML, CSS & JavaScript are also required.

The role will be initially offered on a 3 months basis with a rate of between £100 -£130 per day and has good chance of extension.
              So £100 a day. If anyone is any good and wants to work at that rate please let me know it will save me outsourcing some work to Estonia.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That one is especially good for Agent-style random Capitalisation Of words.

Comment

Working...
                X