• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A bit of fun for programmers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I didn't say it was wrong. I said it was confusing. I was simply pointing out that the reason that people who are unfamiliar with the details of the technology often use the term .Net as if it referred to a programming language is because of the people who use ASP.NET and refer to themselves as ".Net programmers".

I myself had one contract where I was asked by the client to port some of my code from Java to ".Net". They were a bit confused when I gave them a load of C# code, because what they actually meant was VB, it hadn't occurred to them that someone outside of their circle might construe .Net to mean C#.
    You should have asked em to specify what language they wanted it in. Still you could have easily (well it would have been a boring pain in the butt) converted it using reflector or an online code converter.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      I think it comes from people who started out with ASP before .Net and now say .Net to mean ASP.NET usually with VB and very little else. This usage seems to have infected a lot of managers and agents, hence it's possible to find adverts for ".Net developers" that don't mention the language that will be used at all:

.Net Developer - London - £300/day City, London Contract IT Job

Java and C# programmers of my acquaintance seem to understand the subtleties rather better because they tend to be more technically minded, but then that could be because tend to avoid befriending the obviously stupid.
      What does it matter if its C# or VB.Net? You are still using the same framework. You just need to adjust the syntax.

Comment

Java and Jython both compile down to JVM, it doesn't mean it's as simple as changing the syntax. What you end up with may be the same but if all the rest of your code is C# and some guy writes an app in VB.net, it's a pain. Not a colossal pain, but still a pain.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by StopTheEarthIwantToGetOff View Post
          What does it matter if its C# or VB.Net? You are still using the same framework. You just need to adjust the syntax.
          It does matter as there is a difference in the libraries.

VB.Net has a beep command, C# doesn't.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
          X