• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A bit of fun for programmers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Sorry, I'm from a Windows server background (.NET, BizTalk, SQL Server etc).

Checklist: Configuring Windows Server

Turn off hyperthreading on all computers running BizTalk Server and SQL Server in the BizTalk Server environment.
    That's only part of the issue. What is really interesting is when a CPU hits x% usage and it tries to pass the work to the hyperthread CPU which of course currently doesn't really exist due to the main CPU hitting that x% usage.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Turn off hyperthreading on all computers running BizTalk Server and SQL Server in the BizTalk Server environment.
      Is that just Biztalk though? From Wiki:

Hyper-threading requires not only that the operating system support multiple processors, but also that it be specifically optimized for HTT, and Intel recommends disabling HTT when using operating systems that have not been optimized for this chip feature.
      But back to Checklist: Configuring Windows Server:

Use the PageDefrag utility available at PageDefrag to defragment the Windows paging file and pre-allocate the Master File Tables.

Pagefile fragmentation was addressed by VMS in, er, 1983 with the introduction of contiguous and contiguous-best-try file attributes.

(I won't argue about preallocation of MFTs, that's a good idea)
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

• It is critical that hyperthreading be turned off for computers running BizTalk Server. This is a BIOS setting, typically found in the Processor settings of the BIOS setup. Hyperthreading makes the server appear to have more processors/processor cores than it actually does; however, hyperthreaded processors typically provide between 20% and 30% of the performance of a physical processor/processor core. When BizTalk Server counts the number of processors to adjust its self-tuning algorithms, the hyperthreaded processors cause these adjustments to be skewed, which is detrimental to overall performance.
        • Hyperthreading should be turned off for SQL Server computers because applications that can cause high levels of contention (such as BizTalk Server) can cause decreased performance in a hyper-threaded environment on a SQL Server computer.
        Fair enough. Does this apply to the modern Intel CPUs as well or just Pentium 4 based ones?
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Fair enough. Does this apply to the modern Intel CPUs as well or just Pentium 4 based ones?
          ALL but this is purely down to the crapness of SQL Server (see my comment above).

Belief it or not the issue was fixed in SQL Server 2000 SP1 and was reintroduced in SQL server 2005 thanks to a rewrite.

Comment

There seems to be two schools of thought on the meaning of .Net

#1) The .Net is not a language club
            #2) People who use ASP and who just refer to this as .Net, which often gets picked up on by the wider population.

It's ironic that it's people that actually work with the technology who are largely responsible for the confusion.
            Why would they call it ASP.NET if there is no connection? There is a connection. ASP.NET is just one of the libraries included in the .NET framework, in the same way as WinForms is.

Using ASP and referring to it as .NET is no more incorrect than watching Sky Sports and referring to it as 'the telly'.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
              Why would they call it ASP.NET if there is no connection? There is a connection. ASP.NET is just one of the libraries included in the .NET framework, in the same way as WinForms is.

Using ASP and referring to it as .NET is no more incorrect than watching Sky Sports and referring to it as 'the telly'.
              I didn't say it was wrong. I said it was confusing. I was simply pointing out that the reason that people who are unfamiliar with the details of the technology often use the term .Net as if it referred to a programming language is because of the people who use ASP.NET and refer to themselves as ".Net programmers".

I myself had one contract where I was asked by the client to port some of my code from Java to ".Net". They were a bit confused when I gave them a load of C# code, because what they actually meant was VB, it hadn't occurred to them that someone outside of their circle might construe .Net to mean C#.
              Last edited by doodab; 7 April 2011, 14:01.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I myself had one contract where I was asked by the client to port some of my code from Java to ".Net". They were a bit confused when I gave them a load of C# code, because what they actually meant was VB, they had no idea that someone outside of their circle might construe .Net to mean C#.
                I think a lot of the confusion comes from the fact that Java is both a language and a platform, something that Java'ists don't seem to fully understand when comparing themselves to developers of other technologies.

In my forrays into ASP .NET it used to piss me off no end how many of the examples I could find were VB. I haven't done BASIC since my ORIC-1, and I'm not about to start now.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

If you want to confuse people, use F#.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I didn't say it was wrong. I said it was confusing. I was simply pointing out that the reason that people who are unfamiliar with the details of the technology often use the term .Net as if it referred to a programming language is because of the people who use ASP.NET and refer to themselves as ".Net programmers".

I myself had one contract where I was asked by the client to port some of my code from Java to ".Net". They were a bit confused when I gave them a load of C# code, because what they actually meant was VB, it hadn't occurred to them that someone outside of their circle might construe .Net to mean C#.
                    Fool. the last time I needed to do something like that I loaded it as J# and delivered it 3 hours later.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      I think a lot of the confusion comes from the fact that Java is both a language and a platform, something that Java'ists don't seem to fully understand when comparing themselves to developers of other technologies.
                      I think it comes from people who started out with ASP before .Net and now say .Net to mean ASP.NET usually with VB and very little else. This usage seems to have infected a lot of managers and agents, hence it's possible to find adverts for ".Net developers" that don't mention the language that will be used at all:

.Net Developer - London - £300/day City, London Contract IT Job

Java and C# programmers of my acquaintance seem to understand the subtleties rather better because they tend to be more technically minded, but then that could be because tend to avoid befriending the obviously stupid.

Comment

Working...
                      X