• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rangers and Celtic; who's best?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Well this is the fourth time they have been done by UEFA for this tulip
    That's the amusing thing. I don't even know which side they are, and I can't be bothered to work it out, because as far as I can tell it doesn't matter as they are both as bad as each other.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      That's the amusing thing. I don't even know which side they are, and I can't be bothered to work it out, because as far as I can tell it doesn't matter as they are both as bad as each other.
      That is what Rangers want you to think.

"We do, however, believe that it is absurd to think that only Rangers supporters sing offensive or sectarian songs"

This is the fourth time they have been up for this and mud sticks.

"It has also become clear that there are people who have been determined to undermine our club at any cost and have constantly lobbied Uefa and other organisations to take action against Rangers."

The Catholic Church had to step in on the last game and make a complaint to UEFA and what he is saying there is let us just be bigots and do not question our chanting.

Comment

Comment

The club's chief executive Martin Bain says they are "utterly dismayed" by the decision and that they will defend the club's position "vigorously".

The chief executive stressed that the club condemned sectarian singing and that had "been made clear time and again".

"We are not saying there is not a problem but we are saying that for many years now we have made strenuous attempts to address it," he added.

"No, there is no problem at all, nothing to see here, might have been a bit of a problem once, in the past, maybe, we made strenuous attempts to address it and it worked so we can defend our bigoted chanting this time around, we have experience of this seeing this in the courts as it is the fouth time we have been up for this and we might win this time"

Comment

Because you cannot verbalise? unable to put across the point?
            Because your point is that moronic!

So you think the glorifying of murderous scum is acceptable at a football match as long as its not sectarianism?

I like the fact that rather than trying to put over the point that Celtic is best (as the thread title asks) you would rather repost quotes and comment from others rather than letting us know what your own thoughts are?!
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Because your point is that moronic!

So you think the glorifying of murderous scum is acceptable at a football match as long as its not sectarianism?

I like the fact that rather than trying to put over the point that Celtic is best (as the thread title asks) you would rather repost quotes and comment from others rather than letting us know what your own thoughts are?!
              If you want to start a thread on the IRA then batter in, this is a thread about football and as UEFA are investigating Rungers now for sectarian chanting for the 4th time in 5 years I thought I would place today's unrevelations in this thread.

Comment

If you want to start a thread on the IRA then batter in, this is a thread about football and as UEFA are investigating Rungers now for sectarian chanting for the 4th time in 5 years I thought I would place today's unrevelations in this thread.
                No you thought you wouldn't miss the opporunity to have a pop and try to stir tulip

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

No you thought you wouldn't miss the opporunity to have a pop and try to stir tulip
                  I'm not a season ticket holder with a club that has had to again go cap in hand to UEFA for the 4th time in 5 years over bigoted chating.

Comment

I'm not a season ticket holder with a club that has had to again go cap in hand to UEFA for the 4th time in 5 years over bigoted chating.
                    As its finishing time for the day I shall leave you with one question.

As the original thread was "Who's best?" Rather than copy and paste comments on how bad we are, how about giving some evidence as to why YOU think you are the best?

I fear I may already have made this difficult for you as I pointed out that Celtic have won the European Cup where as Rangers had to settle for the Cup Winners Cup, but as a season ticket holder I am sure you can think of something positive about your club rather than someting negative about ours.

Comment

I dunno even where to start with that statement
                      I'll give you a clue. Many members of the Irish Republican Brotherhood going back through the ages have been Protestant.

In the eighteenth century the first attempt towards Irish home rule with little influence from London was led by the Irish Patriot Party in the 1770s and 1780s, inspired by Henry Grattan.

The Age of Revolution inspired Protestants such as Wolfe Tone, Thomas Russell, Henry Joy McCracken, William Orr, Lord Edward Fitzgerald, The Sheares Brothers, Archibald Hamilton Rowan, Valentine Lawless and others who led the United Irishmen movement. At its first meeting on October 14, 1791, all attendees, minus Tone and Russell (two Anglicans) were Presbyterians. Presbyterians, led by McCracken, James Napper Tandy and Neilson would later go on to lead Protestant and Catholic Irish rebels in the Irish Rebellion of 1798. Tone did manage to unite if only for a short time, at least, some Protestants, Catholics and Dissenters into the "common name of Irishmen", and would later go on to try to get French support for the rising, recalling the failed French Bantry Bay landing of 1796.

At that time, the French republicans were opposed to all churches. Such men were inspired by Tom Paine of the American Revolution, who disapproved of organized religions in The Age of Reason (1794–95) and preferred a deist belief. Though the United Irish movement was supported by individual priests, the Roman Catholic hierarchy was opposed to it, in part because its new seminary in Maynooth had been funded by the government in 1795.

During the 1798 rebellion the military leaders were also largely Anglicans. After the initial battles in County Kildare the rebels holding out in the Bog of Allen were led by William Aylmer. In Antrim and Down the rebels were almost all Presbyterians, and at the Battle of Ballynahinch the local Defenders decided not to take part. In County Wexford, which remained out of British control for a month, the main planner and leader was Bagenal Harvey. Joseph Holt led the rebels in County Wicklow. Only in Mayo, where there were few Protestants, was the rebellion led entirely by Catholics, and it only developed because of the landing by a French force under General Humbert. The disarming of Ulster saw several hundred Protestants, tortured, executed and imprisoned for their United Irish sympathies. The rebellion became the main reason for the Act of Union passed in 1800.

You see? As we would say, "If you know your History!"

Now whether or not you sympathise with the notion of Irish Republicanism, it is indisputably the case that singing about it is palpably not sectarian, but purely political.
                      I am of the opinion, as are a great many other Celtic supporters, that Celtic Park is not really the ideal venue for singing about such affairs. And the Club themselves have a policy that largely suppresses the singing of these types of song at least during home games. Besides, Celtic have such a wide and varied songbook that songs of a political nature only constitute a small part of the repertoire. Away from home it is a little harder to exert control over the songbook admittedly.
                      However, to suggest that "one is as bad as the other" is to compare a serial killer to a mugger.
                      When you can provide a link to any occasion when UEFA have taken action against Celtic and their fans over their misdemeanours on the road, and contrast that with the litany of vandalism that is routinely perpetrated by the thugs that follow Rangers, then we can talk.
                      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X