• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The electrical group.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Rather a shame to see industrial heritage being destroyed; that kind of building would make a fabulous complex for restaurants and even an art gallery, what with so much light from the huge windows. Very stylish building imho. But then, restaurants and art galleries in Bootle? Hmmm...

Or maybe I just see beauty where others see a wrecked old factory.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Rather a shame to see industrial heritage being destroyed; that kind of building would make a fabulous complex for restaurants and even an art gallery, what with so much light from the huge windows. Very stylish building imho. But then, restaurants and art galleries in Bootle? Hmmm...

Or maybe I just see beauty where others see a wrecked old factory.
      It stopped production in 1970 (Walls had bought the brand and moved production elsewhere), and I believe they pulled it down around 1980, by which time it had been pretty comprehensively trashed. Merseyside as a whole wasn't getting much in the way of inward investment at that time...

Sometimes, when we went over to see my grandmother in Waterloo of a Sunday afternoon in the 1960s, my Dad would make a detour via that factory just because us kids loved to see the pig carrying the sausage

Comment

It stopped production in 1970 (Walls had bought the brand and moved production elsewhere), and I believe they pulled it down around 1980, by which time it had been pretty comprehensively trashed. Merseyside as a whole wasn't getting much in the way of inward investment at that time...

Sometimes, when we went over to see my grandmother in Waterloo of a Sunday afternoon in the 1960s, my Dad would make a detour via that factory just because us kids loved to see the pig carrying the sausage
        It's a shame that too many people don't see the value of old industrial buildings, especially like that one. Lots of people want to preserve twee little village cottages with their creaking old beams and ' olde worlde charms', but there are fabulous modern industrial buildings that deserve to be looked after and used instead of demolished. It just takes a little imagination to see through the muck and vandalism and recognise the beauty of them.

Comment

thats a good tradition nick

keep it going by taking your own to see queen victorias willy, in Liverpool . Get the angle just right....

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            thats a good tradition nick

keep it going by taking your own to see queen victorias willy, in Liverpool . Get the angle just right....

Wow, she's got a holy hand grenade too!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              As I clambered out of the duct into the dark corridor, I could hear noises coming from one of the classrooms. I recognised the voices, one of them was Mr J.
              I didn’t know what was happening, I was too young I guess, but I knew something wasn’t right, something strange was going on in there, dangerous maybe.

So I kept my gob shut , and beat a hasty.
              I never went back.
              You are Leo Colston AICMFP.
              "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

That reminds me of a maths teacher at my old school, a Mr Jones.

Mr Jones had a plane spotting club as his house was on the flightpath – young teenage boys regularly met at his house. Even in those days I felt something was odd – all the teachers knew about it and had similar views I think.

He just took me for maths, but I remember the type of lads in the club – loners, vulnerable types.

He was also my sisters form tutor in later years. Fortunately he just had a thing for boys.

I was doing a charity abseil from the Piccadilly hotel in Manchester one day and read the Manchester Evening News while passing the time. A Mr Jones from my school had been imprisoned on counts of paedophilia from all those years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  It's a shame that too many people don't see the value of old industrial buildings, especially like that one. Lots of people want to preserve twee little village cottages with their creaking old beams and ' olde worlde charms', but there are fabulous modern industrial buildings that deserve to be looked after and used instead of demolished. It just takes a little imagination to see through the muck and vandalism and recognise the beauty of them.
                  I was once bemoaning this to my accountant and he explained in in tax terms. It isn't just the VAT payable on renovating old buildings (new buildings were VAT free), but tax relief as well.

West Yorkshire used to have some wonderful industrial architecture, much of it left empty over the years.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                    That reminds me of a maths teacher at my old school, a Mr Jones.

Mr Jones had a plane spotting club as his house was on the flightpath – young teenage boys regularly met at his house. Even in those days I felt something was odd – all the teachers knew about it and had similar views I think.

He just took me for maths, but I remember the type of lads in the club – loners, vulnerable types.

He was also my sisters form tutor in later years. Fortunately he just had a thing for boys.

I was doing a charity abseil from the Piccadilly hotel in Manchester one day and read the Manchester Evening News while passing the time. A Mr Jones from my school had been imprisoned on counts of paedophilia from all those years ago.
                    sure sure
                    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post

I was doing a charity abseil from the Piccadilly hotel in Manchester one day and saw a headline in the Manchester Evening News while zooming past a second floor window. ...
                      FTFY
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X