• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Landed a new gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landed a new gig

Had a phone call a couple of weeks back, the usual "Would you be interested in...". Said yes, why not - as there seemed to be nothing else out there and no sign of another extension.
    So, went along to the interview, didn't even wear a tie (I've been so used to not wearing a tie I didn't even think about it until halfway there) turned up late and still managed to land the gig.
    Phew, talk about lucky. An increase in dayrate and another choice name to add to the cv.
    No chance of a break in between, though. Better go in on day one and book my hols then instead.

Well done! They must be desperate.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by Dearnla View Post

So, went along to the interview, didn't even wear a tie (I've been so used to not wearing a tie I didn't even think about it until halfway there) turned up late and still managed to land the gig. ..
      Yup, the absence of a tie probably swung it. They're a positive liability for interviewees these days. Might as well turn up clutching a bowler hat and brolly.

I haven't worn a tie to an interview for four years. Last time I did, for a web company where everyone seemed about 16, I stood out clothes wise like a duke in a docker's club, and needless to say didn't get the gig.

Possibly never having used a Mac, and declaring my intention not to start, may have influenced their decision. I swear I saw one guy there breezing about holding a Mac in one hand and typing on it with the other! How pseudy can one get?!

One thing Mussolini could have been right about (apart from making the trains run on time) was his belief that ties reduce the IQ by constricting blood to the brain. He even banned them throughout Italy at one point, for that reason.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
        Well done! They must be desperate.
        Choice of two, so he must have tossed a coin to pick me

Comment

Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
          Choice of two, so he must have tossed a coin to pick me
          You seem inordinately proud of that. Well done though, seriously. I'm still getting my head around the fact that you're not a woman.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

You seem inordinately proud of that. Well done though, seriously. I'm still getting my head around the fact that you're not a woman.
            For some reason quite a few Italian guys have names ending in "a", such as the late physicist Nicola Cabibbo. Then of course there's Nikola Tesla, although he was Serbian. Still sounds a bit strange though.

I was about to waffle on about the few Latin masculine nouns ending in "a" usually being shortened forms of phrases ending with "aqua" (water), e.g. "nauta" (sailor) short for something like "navigator aqua". But Wikipedia has a different explanation for guys called Nicola and who aren't necessarily into cross-dressing.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Well done dearie!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                For some reason quite a few Italian guys have names ending in "a", such as the late physicist Nicola Cabibbo. Then of course there's Nikola Tesla, although he was Serbian. Still sounds a bit strange though.

I was about to waffle on about the few Latin masculine nouns ending in "a" usually being shortened forms of phrases ending with "aqua" (water), e.g. "nauta" (sailor) short for something like "navigator aqua". But Wikipedia has a different explanation for guys called Nicola and who aren't necessarily into cross-dressing.
                Nikita Krushchov was a man with a girly sounding name.

Comment

You seem inordinately proud of that. Well done though, seriously. I'm still getting my head around your manhood
                  Such a wasted opportunity for a great quote.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                  X