• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making a will

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Anyway, to the OP, instead of listening to the likes of AtW I suggest you have a look at this very useful webpage:

Wills
    Thanks dude, useful info there.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

If there's anything complex - get legal help. But for straightforward inheritance paths - e.g. all to spouse, if surviving, else to kids in equal share, or their kids if the parent hasn't survived etc. etc. you can do it easily and cheaply online. As you're specifying "all", there's no problem in having a friend or neighbour witnessing it for you - no actual amounts need to be stated.

Dying intestate just adds to the distress of those left behind. Making a will isn't difficult. Just get on with it.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Do it CH,it's one of those things that seems like a hurdle, but in facts its easy. and it give you peace of mind

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          If there's anything complex - get legal help. But for straightforward inheritance paths - e.g. all to spouse, if surviving, else to kids in equal share, or their kids if the parent hasn't survived etc. etc. you can do it easily and cheaply online. As you're specifying "all", there's no problem in having a friend or neighbour witnessing it for you - no actual amounts need to be stated.

Dying intestate just adds to the distress of those left behind. Making a will isn't difficult. Just get on with it.
          WHS

The amount of effort you need to put in depends on how much stuff you are going to leave behind and how you want it dished out.

If you die without a will then you stuff gets distributed according to the intestate rules. They may not be what you expect.

I persuaded my parents to make wills. They had assumed that if my dad died then my mum would just get everything but it doesn't work like that if you die intestate.

Just see a Solicitor - this is bread and butter stuff for them and not very expensive.

Comment

Thanks all for the advice!

I have enough kit here to furnish a small music shop and maybe rival PC World. I thought it might be a good idea to make sure it all went to my neice who would appreciate it when I eventually go to the great gig in the sky, seems like it's a relatively simple process to set up a will to make sure that happens.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

We bought one of those home will writing kits - worked a treat. The missus did one for her dad which was reasonably complex. A solicitor looked it over and said it was OK. Mine and hers are a lot less detailed (we have a lot less) and she polished them off in an afternoon.
              Last edited by Lockhouse; 25 March 2011, 09:09.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                WHS

If you die without a will then you stuff gets distributed according to the intestate rules. They may not be what you expect.

I persuaded my parents to make wills. They had assumed that if my dad died then my mum would just get everything but it doesn't work like that if you die intestate.

Just see a Solicitor - this is bread and butter stuff for them and not very expensive.
                Just to reinforce this - every one should make the effort to make a will and, if applicable, get their parents to do so as well. My dad died of cancer just before Christmas and it's been a royal pain in the backside getting everything sorted out.

Comment

One thing to note, if you use a solicitor most of them will hold a copy of the will for you as part of the service. So if the original is ever lost or for any reason is disputed down the line then you know there will be an original, verifiable copy available should it be needed.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

When my mum was diagnosed with cancer last year I took her to a solicitor for advice, the solicitor made some valid points and made us think about what mum wanted (it was not a simple will)
                    Ultimately we used a DIY kit which was backed up with a letter of wishes (not legally binding in & of its self but suitable for our situation)
                    I was named executor & as a beneficiary I could not witness it (as previously mentioned)
                    It is sensible to ask your executor first & then name a 2nd in case the 1st gets abducted by aliens or the like)
                    You then need to let your family know that there is a will & where it is (either a holding firm or the executor) this way when you pass it can be found & acted upon as opposed to assumed that you died intestate.
                    Growing old is mandatory
                    Growing up is optional

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...-has-will.html (actual figures will have changed since then though)

If it's simple, then write it yourself. If it's not, then get someone else to do it. If you need professional advice, then pay for it and take it.

Keep the will safe and make sure that someone else knows where it is - there's no point in keeping it with the solicitor if no-one knows which solicitor you used!!
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X