• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IQ and Race

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The point here is not whether he's right or not, but whether he should have the right to say what he did. And of course he should, especially at a university, which should be open-minded enough to deal with ALL ideas. If you think an idea is wrong, then argue against it using the evidence at your disposal, but don't try to ban it. And didn't the President(?) of Harvard get fired recently for saying something similar about women?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Well spotted Sasguru

Originally posted by sasguru
      The point here is not whether he's right or not, but whether he should have the right to say what he did. And of course he should, especially at a university, which should be open-minded enough to deal with ALL ideas. If you think an idea is wrong, then argue against it using the evidence at your disposal, but don't try to ban it. And didn't the President(?) of Harvard get fired recently for saying something similar about women?
      He does have the right to say and the 150 or so of the student body who signed a petition for his removal should be removed from his lectures, hey tough tulip if you don't get your degree because you want to play politics.
      Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
        He does have the right to say and the 150 or so of the student body who signed a petition for his removal should be removed from his lectures, hey tough tulip if you don't get your degree because you want to play politics.
        He should have the right to say what he said but then again there are enough doubts about the methodology (ie. testing is very narrow etc) used for him to use a bit more discretion with his statements.

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
          1. Why do you think he might be completely wrong? He is basing his opinion on consistent results from a lot of scientific research.

2. Regarding your alternative view, why is it that environmental evolution can affect skin colour, susceptibility to sickle-cell aneamia, and a thousand other biological differences, but not significantly the function of the brain?
          I am no expert on this area but I understand that this area is not as clear cut as physics or mathematics, and there remains huge debate over the role of race and so on on intelligence.

Sickle cell aneamia is a disease that is easily diagnosed, and has a well defined cause. It's not the same as the brain, which is less well understood.

You might be right. The problem is that this is a contentious area, and can offend a large number of people. So there is extra reason to err on the side of caution rather saying that "darkies is thick". Yeah okay I exaggerate, but you get the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            1. Why do you think he might be completely wrong? He is basing his opinion on consistent results from a lot of scientific research.

2. Regarding your alternative view, why is it that environmental evolution can affect skin colour, susceptibility to sickle-cell aneamia, and a thousand other biological differences, but not significantly the function of the brain?

Point 1 - Only the foolish or those with vested interests 'trust' scientific data completely, accepted scientifc theory is constantly being updated.

Point 2 - Why are some people Black, some Brown and some White? As a response to their environment, the environment inside white/brown/black heads are identical. There may well be variation but its unlikely to be significant given the other factors involved in living a life.

But most compellingly if there were significant differences in intelligence between races it would have been spotted by now either by experiement or outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
              Not true that dumb people are likely to have dumb kids. There is a regression to the mean effect.
              I'm with MailMan on this one. I happen to think that quite a strong determinant of how well you do in life is culturally based e.g. expectations, diet and so on. I suppose I could point to Richard Dimbleby and his sons, and the two Attenborough brothers as examples, but such examples do not mean much really.

As an aside, I have traced my ancestry back about 200 years, and what strikes me is that most of them are oiks, working in mundane jobs e.g. agricultural labourers, knife grinders, coal miners and mill workers. But on my mother's side 200 years ago there is a tailor which was a decent profession. And the descendents from that line do well. You could argue that it is genetic, but then why does one side dominate. And my mother and her mother had a strong sense that one could progress through education. Indeed my father came from a very poor background - his father worked in a brick yard, and his father was a knife grinder. But after he met my mother, he went to night school and did well.

Many years ago I gave tutorials to undergraduates at a major UK university. About half came from private schools. What struck me was that the best were brighter then me - hohum - and yet quite a few of the private school ones were thick as tulipe. And yet they were at a major university. So cultural advantages help a lot.

Comment

I met a generous Scot once and a Jew who wasn't hellbent on making tons of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
                  I met a generous Scot once and a Jew who wasn't hellbent on making tons of money.
                  I wish I'd led such an adventurous life.

Comment

Throw some mud

Only based on the story on the BBC and I'm sorry to say no other investigation I think the following quote is telling :

"The way to deal with this is not to treat people as groups, but to treat them as individuals."

So what he is saying is that we shouldn't label people, we should understand certain social & genetic factors affect peoples success in western intelligence tests.

so we have choices :

1/ Adjust the way we measure intelligence to take these factors into account.

2/ Adjust the way we teach to take these factors into account.

3/ Assume the differences are irreconcilable and condem all non western orientated races to slavery and crime.

4/ Assume its the white / rich man's fault and promote / employ / grade people higher than those who are not in the 'majority'

New Lie have number 4, the BNP have number 3 so I think 1&2 are probably worth looking at as the best solution.

Of course we could just condem the messenger and watch crime & poverty rise in these social groups. Oh sorry New lie, the BBC & the Granuid have this option covered as well.

Anyone who doesn't believe Nature / God / Random chance / little Green Aliens (delete as appropiate) tuned individual races to fit best in their enviroment and that this includes the type of intelligence is a fool. The evidence is overwhelming from basic cranium sizes to active areas of the brain we are different. That doesn't mean we are better or worse, just different.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
                      I am no expert on this area but I understand that this area is not as clear cut as physics or mathematics, and there remains huge debate over the role of race and so on on intelligence.

Sickle cell aneamia is a disease that is easily diagnosed, and has a well defined cause. It's not the same as the brain, which is less well understood.
                      I suspect environment over centuries does have a slight bearing on average IQ, but the snag is practically everyone's ancestors have been on the move one way or another over the last few thousand years so any effect is likely to be spread out until it is almost indistinguishable.

But broadly speaking, people like Jews descended from nomadic tribesmen and still "wandering" until recent times must travel light and thus historically there's possibly been a premium on symbolic thinking and wheeling and dealing without much in the way of physical possessions to work with.

Maybe it's no coincidence that the Jews were the first to worship a God who could be carried about or represented light by an empty box instead of an idol weighing tons! Same thing applies to asians and Russians, who were also largely nomads until a few thousand years ago.

Then in Europe, which was once covered in dense forests, there must have been an advantage in being able to remember and navigate vast tracts of forest paths, which perhaps helps explain European and especially German (where the forests were thickest) pre-eminence in science and maths.

I must admit there are holes in the theory. For example, not all nomads seem unusually smart, and African jungles are also pretty dense but Africans don't seem to be that prominent in areas such as chemistry requiring mastery of intricate interconnected details.

But perhaps in the jungle they have (or their ancestors had) it too easy, being able to find ripe fruit or catch game without needing to venture very far.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X